What gamemode type for a Venice-inspired map?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by SapphireIce, Dec 19, 2010.

1. SapphireIce

SapphireIce L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Alright, so I started on a map a few days ago. It's based on Venice, and as a consequence, would have a river. However, it's going to be a shallow river: piles of wood and unused rubbish from both teams piled up in the river (lol, pollution), resulting in the shallow river.

So the big question is what type of gamemode should this be. I'm thinking of two scenarios:
    - Capture Points (A/D): BLU Team must seize all control points. The river is a main path that leads to all the control points on the side. The player can also take alternate paths to arrive to the CPs, but the river is like a big directional sign. Piles of rubbish are not continuous and some parts of the river are deep: hidden medkits and ammo.
    - Payload: BLU Team pushed the Cart in the river, shallow enough for it to support a cart. Only thing annoying me is the rails: would it be on Rubbish, or just a naturally shallow river?

Anyone?

2. Okrag

aa Okrag Wall Staples

Positive Ratings:
    Gondola cart.

3. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Lol, pushing a gondola, that would great... yea, like a PL sort of like that...

if not, a 3 CP A/D would be interesting...

4. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    Regardless of which mode you choose, don't hide your health and ammo. Pickups shouldn't be hard to get to, but they also shouldn't be right where most action takes place.

5. SapphireIce

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks for the tip. I'd keep that in mind.

I'll still need a few more opinions before I can decide.

6. red_flame586

red_flame586 L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'd like to think 3cp A/D like gravelpit. you could do it slightly differently to others where you can travel down the river to all three control points as well as being able to go via different routes to the points individually. The points shouldn't be able to see each other though and with the river, remember to make it not that annoying to swim through (lots of swimming = bad) as well as possibly putting some paths along the edge to make it easier to transverse.

7. nik

nik L12: Fabulous Member

Positive Ratings:
    gondola PL for SURE.

8. REEJ

REEJ L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    This^ for the infinite awesomeness

9. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Gondola, or maybe some kind of raft would be more appropriate for a bomb cart.

It so happens, Rexy loves making custom payload carts. He actually made a thread a while back asking people to request some.

10. Terwonick

Terwonick L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    IDK, think CP > PL any-day, but that's just me, go with the larger consensus (so far PL).

11. SapphireIce

Positive Ratings:
    I think I am going to go with Payload's design. Thanks everyone!