What do you think is the best gamemode for a newbie to map for?

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

FloofCollie

I really suck!
aa
Nov 5, 2016
^ title. What do gamemode do you feel is the best one to teach a newbie mapper how to make a decent map and expose them to the mechanics that have to be taken into account?

I personally think KOTH is, as it features pretty much all staple TF2 mechanics (symmetry, Control Points and logic) and is a popular and well-balanced gamemode and is easy (or easier) to design and map for.

What about you?

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
I'd say Arena is the easiest gamemode to map for, cos Arena maps tend to be much smaller and simpler than other gamemodes. It's not a very popular gamemode though, so KOTH might be your best bet if you want people to play your map ;)

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
I say koth

Star Bright

L2: Junior Member
Jan 4, 2016
I say koth primarily for the same reasons already listed. The logic to set up behind it is not much more advanced than Arena, people will actually play it a lot more (even if it is the most oversatured of gametypes here on TF2Maps) and you learn a lot, especially about symmetrical design. The maps don't have to be too big, and you can focus a lot on your center point instead of having the whole "Arena servers hate it when you cap" issue.

FloofCollie

I really suck!
aa
Nov 5, 2016
Wait, really? Was that this past Thursday? Because that is really cool
I was fairly sure it was like that since Meet Your Match launched under the Alternate Gamemodes tab, but a quick Google search shows me that I must be wrong...?

That's a shame, I was certain it had been added. :c
Sorry for the false alarm...

Last edited:

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
I don't think symmetrical maps are any easier to develop than asymmetrical ones. However, smaller maps are easier to develop than larger ones, and Arena/KotH maps are typically the smallest. A single stage of an A/D CP map (like Dustbowl) would be another good mode to learn from, though it is more prone to fail than the two aforementioned modes.

ics

http://ics-base.net
aa
Jun 17, 2010
easiest koth
hardest payload/payload race

This might not be so true. I've never done koth map, because i can't think of map twisted (viaduct) or rotated 180 (harvest) or 90 (probed). Then i've made 4 payload maps and that seems the most easiest to do for me, because i dont have to worry about symmetry.

P

Prosciutto

This might not be so true. I've never done koth map, because i can't think of map twisted (viaduct) or rotated 180 (harvest) or 90 (probed). Then i've made 4 payload maps and that seems the most easiest to do for me, because i dont have to worry about symmetry.
i personally think payload is the hardest because you have to lay the track path manually down and it's just annoying sometimes

MOCOLONI

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 16, 2014
i personally think payload is the hardest because you have to lay the track path manually down and it's just annoying sometimes
Not to mention the creation of the payload itself. I find it more complicated than the method I used to make one for a non-Payload map, which is a completely different thing (it eventually fails at something, but at least the matching team can push it, enemies can stop it, and it rolls back after a few seconds).