What do you guys do when you are putting payload track models together neatly?

Cream Tea

L1: Registered
Apr 26, 2016
Hello, I haven't posted on here for ages but here it goes :p

When it comes to adding payload tracks I find this very irritating especially when attempting inclines...

PYoVn3W.png

I know you will never get it truly seamless but there must be a way to at least precisely rotate and transform models so that it's very close.

I've been using hammer editor for years and unless I have missed something there doesn't seem to be an easy way to do this.

How do you guys usually deal with this?

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
  • Grid size 1 (arrow key nudging is useful and goes 1 unit if you hold ctrl)
  • Ctrl + M to move props by less than 1 units if absolutely necessary
  • Hold shift while rotating (rotates by 0.5 degrees). Also, adjust rotation by hand in the entity properties
  • Intersect models with the ground (if you have tracks going up a slope, the top needs to end at the correct spot but the bottom doesn't)
  • Use displacements to hide your mistakes
  • Look at official maps, realize they didn't do a perfect job either, and then stop trying so hard

Cream Tea

Apr 26, 2016
I didn't even know CTRL-M was a thing or shift to rotate by half a unit.

Thank you I'll try that.

And I guess I don't have to get it 100% perfect but I do like things to be as neat as possible if you know what I mean.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Use trigonometry if you want to perfectly rotate props on slopes. Tan in particular helps with converting between slope ratios and angles.

Cream Tea

Apr 26, 2016
I guessed you could mathematically work it out but like Idolon said I probably don't need to try that hard. ;)