what do you do when someone decompiles your map and releases it themselves?

Ezekel

L11: Posh Member
Dec 16, 2008
so i was checking the tf2map stats to see how my maps were doing (yeh i was bored at the time). anyway i was surprised to see a "dm_autumn_twilight_b1a" come up.
http://www.tf2stats.net/map_search/?map=*autumn*
someone's decompiled the map and recompiled the map as a DM...

i trawled the net and found their website:
http://melee-it.ru/

unfortunately i don't speak russian so i have no idea what to do about this...
anyone know any russian by any chance?

what would you guys do if something like this happened to you???

J4CK8

Mar 4, 2009
First off, is it the exact same map? I'm assuming it is due to the name being not very common. Secondly, you can't do a lot but use a translator and tell the author it is your map. If they haven't credited you for it, then either ask them to credit you, or remove it.

Zeewier

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 20, 2008
Always release your maps under a Creative Commons licence :).

That's more or less what I learned at the university this week :p

Ezekel

Dec 16, 2008
thanks for the translation... can't find anything that'd help though, as far as i can tell they'd just ignore me if i were to say anything :( :(

leetle people are tiny man! as heavy would say

i'm offically unhappy/sad now :(

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
What do you do?

Decompile their face.

With a hammer.

Dr. ROCKZO

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jul 25, 2009
Well, unless you have their permission and they've said that it's your map originally, It's definitely wrong.

UFO

L2: Junior Member
May 20, 2009
I know these guys a bit. It's a small community with small server and small maps. The only thing they're famous for is machinima [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5zYw40btw4"]YouTube - Sliders: Depthwards [TF2 Machinima][/ame]. They main difference of thier server is melee-only mode. Also they make treir own minigames, like hide-and-seek, pyroball, etc. They've spent Best Custom Maps Weeks twice.

If you see their server's map list, you can also find DM versions of koth_moonshine_v2, arena_storm_b1c and Harvest (I don't even mention DM versions of Valve maps).

They do not release decompiled maps as thier own, they do not try to appropriate remade maps to them (they don't even try to get money for them :D ).

So, if I knew that someone decompiled my map and released it himselves, but only in the way these guys do, I would do nothing.

Ezekel

Dec 16, 2008
Well, unless you have their permission and they've said that it's your map originally, It's definitely wrong.

why on earth would i need their permission for anything?????????????

and i'm still unhappy about this.. since no one even asked me. it just feels wrong to have someone take something i worked on and turn it into something i never intended for it to be in teh 1st place...

also i'm pretty sure that pyroball originated from the voogru servers

Last edited:

bouncy_ninja

L1: Registered
Oct 7, 2009
As wrong that is - my recommendation is to recompile your map as they have - DM - and send it to them - they will most likely remove their chop shop one and use yours - and it'll probably make them very happy and you get to take the credit you deserve, they might have asked you to make an edited DM for them but they probably thought there would be to hard to contact you.

reminds me of what Gabe said about the Russian piracy market - more or less the pirates were doing a better job of distributing the games then the Publisher! and that why the piracy rate is so high there, but now with steam it's much better. It's all about whats the easiest way, - sad as it is.

I was once request to my a knife arena version of a FY map i made, so i did. Smiles all round