what are some suggestions for making handrails?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by that1guy112, Jan 1, 2010.

1. that1guy112

that1guy112 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I'm working on a map which has metal handrails. Right now, I have a 1 unit wide, 56 unit tall box with metalrail012c texture applied to it. I then added an 8-sided cylinder to the top to make it appear to have a little more depth. I was wondering if anyone could think of a way to make this that would look better, I think that with the texture it is just too flat.

2. Altaco

Altaco L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    There are plenty of very nice railing props you could use instead. Just open up the model browser and search for "rail"

3. that1guy112

Positive Ratings:
    is there a way to search in the model viewer? If so, I haven't figured it out yet lol

4. Impulse

Impulse L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    in the model browser at the bottom there is a box called filter (it is under full path) this is used to search for props with keywords like "rail"

also you could use ABS' resource pack that has a prop library that is organised into vis groups to look for props without the browser

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. that1guy112

Positive Ratings:
    this is all I've got, no filter box that I can see

6. XFunc_CaRteR

XFunc_CaRteR L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Dude, just load in ABS's Prop Library map, and then open it up. It's a .vmf file (basically, a TF2 map file), with loads of props scattered around it, organized roughly by type. Turn on the type you want in the group filters, find a good one and copy and paste it into your map.

You don't need to use any model viewer at all.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. that1guy112

Positive Ratings:
    ah, shweet. I'll download it and check it out, thx

8. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    There's a model browser in hammer. When in an entity with the Model keyvalue, click the browse button.

9. that1guy112

Positive Ratings:
    that was really helpful, found the rails lol. Thx for the link and advice

10. Impulse

Impulse L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    no problem, also the model browser is in the properties of a prop_static, prop_dynamic, etc...

click on world model and go over to the right and click brows it should bring up a green window that you can search for props with.

11. Pc_Madness

Pc_Madness L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I take it theres no way to chop the railings? I've got one thats just abit to long, and I'd have to replace it with shorter segments which look different. :(

12. VelvetFistIronGlove

aa VelvetFistIronGlove

Positive Ratings:
    No, there's no way to chop the railing short of remaking the model in 3DS Max or something. But if "it's too long" means it will stick into a wall, that is usually ok.

You have to be a bit careful when having models stick into walls that the model's origin--which you see as an 'x' in the 2d views or the small red, green, and blue lines at right angles in the 3d view when the model is selected--is not in a wall, as that will either cause a leak or result in the model appearing too dark.

13. XFunc_CaRteR

XFunc_CaRteR L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    You can put the origin of a prop in a wall as long as it doesn't stick through the wall and out into the void.

If you do, you'll probably need to use an info_lighting entity to make it light well.