What are some aspects of each class to consider whilst balancing?

chuckster

L1: Registered
Aug 25, 2017
Basically about to release my very first map in its A1 and want to do a quick rundown before I launch it.

When I say aspects, I mean benefits and downsides classes have and how the map affects them. For example, Heavies are great for defending points but are extremely easy to flank with high ground. Things like that but for every class. Thanks!

nᵗʰSonata

Takes way to long to make and update maps
aa
Jun 11, 2015
  • Scouts obviously can jump much higher and farther than other classes, and will take advantage of overscaling, but aren't the best at fighting across large sightlines or against a large number of enemies, like you'd expect around chokepoints
  • Soldiers can utilize rocket jumping to get around the map, but won't be able to use splash damage as easily if they have the low ground, and their rocket jumping is nerfed by low ceilings.
  • Pyros are best with flanks, especially dropdown flanks, as well as anything that clumps people together such as chokes and objectives, but have a hard time fighting at longer ranges
  • Demoman can trap chokes and objectives, and can jump much like Soldiers, but can't attack as quickly and have some trouble fighting on terrain that isn't flat, though bumpy terrain does give them more room to hide traps
  • Heavies are good at mid- to short-range, and can take a lot of damage, but are easily countered by Snipers and Spies
  • Engineers benefit from enclosed rooms where all entrances are visible from a single point, but including more routes makes it more difficult for them, and can easily be controlled by placement and amount of ammo pickups
  • Medics like to stay behind corners and cover to heal their targets who are out in the open while they themselves are safe, and are in danger in large, straight sightlines
  • Snipers use long sightlines, especially cheeky ones at odd angles that you don't expect, and can make excellent use of hiding places like shadows and foliage, but are only as strong as the sightlines allow them to be
  • Spies also love hiding places, as places to safely walk while cloaked and to uncloak from, as well as side rooms that don't see much use, where they can change disguises and refresh their cloak, but can be controlled by ammo and limiting places for trickstabs, such as corners and stairs/slopes.
To get a better idea of certain statistics, such as Uber duration, sentry view distance, and hitbox size, I'd suggest reading the TF2 Mapper's Reference over on the VDC. Hopefully this was of some help to you!

Last edited: