What Are All The Known Causes For A Compile Crash?

World Of Frisbee Crisis

L2: Junior Member
Mar 31, 2008
Well, I've been trying to test out my map, but every time it compiles it crashes and goes unresponsive. I first thought it was because I accidentally made water a func_detail. But after fixing that, no dice. Anyone know any reasons it would crash?:001_unsure:

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
Crashing during compile is usually some combination of not having enough system resources, and Hammer trying to do too much at once during one of the compile processes. i.e. A lot of weird and broken geometry that's not func_detail will make vvis run forever and a day. What's the vmf size, and what are your system specs?

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
it depends on what stage it was on when it crashed, give some more info

World Of Frisbee Crisis

L2: Junior Member
Mar 31, 2008
My specs are:
Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core
Processor Speed
1.6GHz
System Memory (RAM)
1GB
Type of Memory (RAM)
DDR2
Hard Drive Size
120GB
Graphics
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

And it crashes right after it starts.

teddyruxpin

Sr. Hygiene Technician
Mar 24, 2008
Have you tried loading the prt or lin files while the map is loaded up in hammer? Try first loading the lin file and see if there is any leaks in your map and fix them. It will show a long red line to any. Then load the portal file and check for large clusters of brushes etc that you can func_detail or rebuild using fewer brushes or better methods. I had to do this a few times to get my maps to build correctly.

What is in your compile log? Anything about 'leaks' mentioned or similar. Also try saving it as a different name and then building. Could have a bad file somewhere. Renaming will clear that.

-Teddy

Nosher

L4: Comfortable Member
Feb 3, 2008
Having a space in the name sometimes causes errors......

Using lilypads caused my map to crash upon compile......

Having a HUGE leak causes the crashing sensation.....

Using the 'edit cordon bounds' and then the toggle 'cordon selection' enables you to select parts of the map, and you can break up a map and compile it in smaller chunks....that may help........