We've made some changes...

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
A few days ago we put up a short and simple survey to give us some feedback about the site. As we move into a new year, we're going to start working on some improvements to TF2Maps.net based on the results we've obtained from the survey. You might have noticed some things have changed as we've rolled out our first wave of improvements, and I'd like to run you through exactly what has changed:

Tutorials is now its own forum

Before, the tutorials forum was a subforum of "Mapping & Tutorials". This made it be hidden from a lot of people, so we've moved it out, made it the Tutorials & Resources forum, and "Mapping & Tutorials" is now just Mapping Discussion. This should make finding the tutorials forum easier for new users, and hopefully will encourage more tutorials to be posted.

We've reduced the forum clutter

We'd like to think our site is pretty important, but does it really need two forums to handle its business? If we have any major announcements, they'll be posted to Featured News. Everything else site-related is now handled through the Front Desk.

Also, the Portal 2 and Minecraft forums weren't getting much traffic, so they've been archived. A new Games Talk forum has replaced them, and includes threads from the previous two forums as well as some discussions that have been moved out of Off Topic. This forum should be used for the discussion of any game that isn't Team Fortress 2, which has its own Team Fortress 2 Talk.

Team Fortress 2 Talk, Off Topic, and VIP Lounge have been moved to a new category alongside Games Talk, for better forum organization, with all mapping and content creation discussion in one place, and more general discussion in another. Also, Introduce Yourself is now a subforum of Off Topic.

And there's even more!

Here's some other, smaller changes we've introduced:

Last edited:

Terwonick

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 25, 2010
Don't stop cleaning now!!!

As far as I know these names still need to be changed.
http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=8889

Update the server list, better yet, lock this thread and make a new one, plus update the server list on the side.
http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=11829

This needs more shortcuts/the list is incomplete.
http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=6005

Almost every link on this page is broken, it's one of the first things people will check out when they come here. http://forums.tf2maps.net/announcement.php?f=44

Last edited:

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
1) we don't know if changing names constantly is good for the structure of the forums, but we're looking into it.

2) That is an old thread. We will be updating the server/mumble/IRC info when needed.

3) Ask YM, but that look pretty good to me.

4) I'll fix that up in the next day or 2.

Thanks Terwonick!

ALSO! We've added a "Map Showcase" forum, here is how to get your map there:
Did you map just get into RC and you're ready for it to be moved into the Maps Showcase forum? Here's what you'll need to do:

Send a private message to a site staff member (Ravidge, Nineaxis, drp, Okrag or Fr0z3n) with a link to your map's development thread asking for a request for your thread to be moved. The staff member(s) will review it and decide if your map is high enough quality to be showcased. If it is, it will be moved to showcase. If it isn't, then the staff member will respond saying why it isn't high enough quality.

We are looking at quality, so good aethestics and gameplay is need.

Thanks!
-Staff

Last edited:

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Never really needed separate forums for it or P2 anyway, honestly

Also, you may want to disable thread creation in the RC showcase

Last edited by a moderator:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Well the MC server was only supposed to be for VIP's/Vets/trusted members anyway, i had recommended a sub forum in VIP for MC threads, but a full section was made in the public area in the end. Not complaining, it actually saw more use than i thought. With each update the area was relatively active with discussion that included peoples SP maps. The screenshot and server thread's have 11 pages of discussion and the last post was only 5 days ago.

Last edited:

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
The link to Member Blogs still needs to be removed from the navbar.

Sep 1, 2009
Liking the kinda map gallery :3

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Update 2/5/12

We've adjusted the forum template to a more compact header layout, and put a featured gallery at the top of the home page. There's probably a few bugs to iron out, but we'd like to know what you think, and any suggestions you might have for further improving the forum layout.

You can also revert to the older theme by going to Edit Options in your User Control Panel and setting the theme to TF2Maps 1.0. The current, default theme is 1.1.

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
header.JPG

Is the area marked fail ad-space?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Do you have an image saved of the layout from before? I never thought it was in need of any modification.