Well That Was Close

tf2.com

L13: Stunning Member
Jun 16, 2010

All of us here on the TF2 team have been asking to play Portal 2 for months now.

"Go away," the Portal guys told us. "You'll just try to put hats in it."

"Whaaattttt?" we said. "That's—psshhhh. If anything, we'll probably tell you to take some hats out of the game."

"There are no hats in the game."

After this, there was an awkward ten-minute silence while all of on the TF2 team stared at the Portal guys, waiting for them to start laughing. Instead, they just told us to go away again. That's when we realized: with so little time left before release, we couldn't afford to waste any time playing the game. We had to fix it. Now. So late last night we snuck into the Portal 2 source code and copy/pasted some hats into it.

You're welcome, Portal 2 team.

Today, we pass the fruits of our clandestine game-saving labor onto you, the hat-loving public (or as you're more commonly known, the public). If you own any of the following hats in Team Fortress 2, you'll be able to equip them on your Cooperative Testing Initiative robots in Portal 2:

• Mann Co. Cap
  • Prince Tavish's Crown
  • Pyro's Beanie
  • Fancy Fedora
  • Master's Yellow Belt
  • Tyrant's Helm
If you've been on the fence up until now—and who could blame you—you've finally got a reason to buy Portal 2. Courtesy of Team Fortress 2. The best game that Valve makes with a "2" on the end.

Source: TF2.com

Jan 20, 2010
People are giving Portal 2 a 0/10 on Metacritic for the ingame store. It makes me laugh so much. I personally don't care. They're not related to gameplay, so I ain't buyin' them.

BeaverKing

L1: Registered
Jun 13, 2010
Wow... Enough with the endless hat gimmicks already... Whatever happened to marketing a game based on its innovativeness and enjoyment, not some frivolous ploy like an impractical, purely cosmetic hat...

This is probably why the TF2 team breaks the game and plugins like metamod every time they attempt to release a real update like last week, too busy grinding away on out-of-place hats instead of improving the game itself... Anyone else get the sense sometimes that they're just kind of winging it and learning how to program as they go? hehe. I dont see DICE releasing Bad Company 2 updates every week...

If I were on the Portal team, I'd glare at the TF2 guys and tell them to go away too...

RagnarHomsar

L2: Junior Member
Aug 22, 2010
Wow... Enough with the endless hat gimmicks already... Whatever happened to marketing a game based on its innovativeness and enjoyment, not some frivolous ploy like an impractical, purely cosmetic hat...
I don't remember seeing anything about hats when I prepurchased Portal 2 for a friend and I a few months ago. All of a sudden because they offer some neat little pay-for things and the ability to share cosmetic items between two games an entire game's marketing is based around cosmetic items?

And about "updates every week": the gap between the sort of mini-community contribution update and Australian Christmas was about 4 months. Pretty much every other update was just bugfixes.

On topic: Every single word uttered about Portal 2 (and this includes this hat thing) makes me want to just end this vacation already and head home to play it.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2010

This is probably why the TF2 team breaks the game and plugins like metamod every time they attempt to release a real update like last week, too busy grinding away on out-of-place hats instead of improving the game itself... Anyone else get the sense sometimes that they're just kind of winging it and learning how to program as they go? hehe. I dont see DICE releasing Bad Company 2 updates every week...

If I were on the Portal team, I'd glare at the TF2 guys and tell them to go away too...

I really have no words for people like you, which is why I'm writing these words to a person like you.

BeaverKing

L1: Registered
Jun 13, 2010
I didn't say the entire game's marketing was based on hats, don't put words in my mouth.

Everything Valve promotes these days is eventually tied to TF2 with some dumbass hat or weapon it seems, if it's not initially laid out that way to begin with. Trading and community content has pretty much killed that game as it once was... That update last week has broken TF2 for more than half the people on my Friend's list... Random crashes galore...

And that's good Leminnes, take a stand while saying nothing... Your opinion is no more right than mine...

@ Frag, it really was. Why would anyone wanna wear that potato hat anyway? hehe

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008
I just honestly don't see why a game where you play coop requires a) bought hats or b) a 300 frickin slot backpack

WHY A BACKPACK?

RagnarHomsar

L2: Junior Member
Aug 22, 2010
I didn't say the entire game's marketing was based on hats, don't put words in my mouth.
Objection!
Whatever happened to marketing a game based on its innovativeness and enjoyment, not some frivolous ploy like an impractical, purely cosmetic hat...
You implied the marketing was based entirely around hats with that statement.

I don't think I'm even going to wear any hats when I can play co-op with friends. Who would even care what one other person thinks of the hat on your bot's head?

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
Whatever happened to marketing a game based on its innovativeness and enjoyment, not some frivolous ploy like an impractical, purely cosmetic hat...

Panels
Bot trust
Turrets
Boots

This is totally a goddamn hat based marketing right here!
This all also applies to Meet The... videos.

If this really is hat based marketing to you, then i don't know really.

Trading and community content has pretty much killed that game as it once was... That update last week has broken TF2 for more than half the people on my Friend's list... Random crashes galore...

I would highly consider looking how many new players there is in TF2 now and how strong mapping and modeling community is now, TF2 is living good life and is not dead at all.

Also are you really complaining about bugs and crashes on update that pretty much rewrite and edit shitton of tf2 code, that is something you can't expect to go without problems.