Well, back to the drawing board

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
So, after giving it some thought, I've just decided to scrap every single one of my projects (excluding hangar) and start life as a mapper a new. Mainly because they're all littered with my mistakes as an early mapper, and they all seem to be holding me back.

What really threw me over was the huge wave of negative criticism that I got with snowbelt. Despite the fact that it was an orphaned map, it really took me back because people generally found it 4x worse than Rift. (no offense ynders) So, I'm just starting over. I already have an idea in my head, and I'm gonna do whatever it takes to make a map that has a lasting impression on people! ;)

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
I've been thinking the same thing. Lately I've been growing to dislike the layouts of Matthew and Kimberly. In fact, I'm making a plan for a complete remake of Kimberly (kinda like what I did with pl_jeanette).

It's all part of the learning process. All you need to do is make sure the next thing you make it better than the last.

Yours sincerely, a very drunk Ms. Mudpie. PS: Happy St. Paddy's Day.

Kraken

Few more zeros and ones for the site to proccess
Dec 21, 2014
You should try entering the April fool contest.
Since you have no maps to be working on.

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
That means you're learning!

So you're doing it right.

"You don't learn to walk by following rules. You learn by doing, and by falling over."
-Richard Branson

“They misunderestimated me.”
-George Bush

(sorry for the political-ness; at the end of the day, it's just funny)

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
A very important step in learning mapping is learning when to let go of a project. Gain as much as you can from them and apply that knowledge to make something even better. Then take that one as far as you can and repeat the cycle.

If you learn something from it, it's not a waste.

puxorb

L69: Emoticon
aa
Dec 15, 2013
Just do what I do! Spend hours working on one thing and then never release it.

There are probably a ton of horrible maps that you will all never get to play! Its all part of my evil plan for world domination.

Bunbun

aa
May 18, 2014
I think its nice of you to make a post telling us your abandoning your previous projects instead of just quietly pushing them aside.

What? arena lodge? no no never heard of that map.....

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
I think its nice of you to make a post telling us your abandoning your previous projects instead of just quietly pushing them aside.

What? arena lodge? no no never heard of that map.....

A: I wanted to make sure I made the right decision
B: This would be a nice thread to link back to in case future mappers are having the same idea.

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
And now here is a picture of a bit of what's to come in the new 1cp a/d map that I ditched all my other maps for:
UWXZSzI.jpg

There's not much right now, but the basic idea is that instead of making it a straight shot ahead, it's going to be more arena-like and have the point in the center of everything. Kind of like that horde map that someone made...

Basically, the problem with most 1 cp maps is they act like gorge with first cut off, which kind of ruins the point, doesn't it?

Last edited:

Bunbun

aa
May 18, 2014
And now here is a picture of a bit of what's to come in the new 1cp a/d map that I ditched all my other maps for:
UWXZSzI.jpg

There's not much right now, but the basic idea is that instead of making it a straight shot ahead, it's going to be more arena-like and have the point in the center of everything. Kind of like that horde map that someone made...

Basically, the problem with most 1 cp maps is they act like gorge with first cut off, which kind of ruins the point, doesn't it?

Look up mvm maps, they kinda have layout with one goal (hatch).

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010