Weird Shadows

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by tortilaman, Sep 28, 2008.

1. tortilaman

tortilaman L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I've been working on my map a lot lately, and I'm having problems with some weird shadows. all my displacements have it, but tunnels and one of my buildings as well.
    Good Looking (semi)
    [​IMG]
    What it looks like most of the time in game
    [​IMG]
    A Whole building is a shadow
    [​IMG]

2. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Looks to me like you're using model textures, find the texture in the texture browser and look at it's filename, it proable has model/ or prop/ at the begining, you MUST NOT USE THOSE TEXTURES because they mess up. However, fortunately for us valve make two versions of almost all their textures, so all you have to do is find the same texture that doesn't have model/ or prop/ at the front and replace all the offending faces and problem solved

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Cameron:D

Cameron:D L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Funnily enough I was going to ask the exact same question :)

4. tortilaman

Positive Ratings:
    oh wow, you're right. I somehow got a different texture on that one building. Thanks youme.

5. TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    A good way to avoid this is that when you are searching for textures, make sure to type the / at the end of the word (if its a category, look wood, nature, metal, etc). If you search wood, you'll get several props textures in addition to the ones you want. If you search wood/, you'll only see normal textures.

6. tortilaman

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah. I'll make sure to remember that. Good tip.