Weird lightning bug with displacement cliffs?

Darkyy

L1: Registered
Aug 15, 2014
I worked a bit with displacement cliffs for my map and I encountered a weird and ugly lightning bug http://i.imgur.com/9CymEcz.jpg.

The displacements are also sewed and I dont really know how fix this. Even after reworking the whole cliff around 3 times I still ended up with this. The upper texture is blendgroundtograss007_reducedetail and the lower one is blendrockgroundwallforest_reducedetail. Both have the same texture settings.

Might be nice if someone could tell me whats wrong.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
You're talking about how to remove the visible hard edge? Try using smoothing groups. If there's a sharp edge phyiscally, then the compiler will assume it's that way on purpose and light it the way a sharp edge would be lit in real life. And make sure the lightmaps line up — click the "camera" button in the top left of the 3D view and select "3D Lightmap Grid" to check.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
It's either one of two things:

1) The edges are over 45 degrees and aren't getting smoothed, make the join rounder.
2) The wall texture has an SSBump rather than a normal map, in which case you're screwed. SSBumps make the whole texture paler and matching them up with non SSBumped textures is next to impossible.