Weird Color / lighting on Dispacements

Oct 6, 2008
Hi,

Doing some work on my B5 vesrison and not sure what the cause is but...

I'm getting some wierd colours on a rock textured displacements and a couple of models.

In one spot I'm getting a gold colourd highlights - don't mind this one so much as it is a gold_heist map.

In another spot - it looks like a grafitti dude has come by and sprayed a blue spot on a rock.

I'm thinking that it has something to do with cubemaps - I have 1 in the entire map and there lies the rub - edicts.

My map is HUGE - 4 stages - but it's HUGE and since it is so big I am already close to the max for edicts - I have to allow for 32 players and all their bullets/etc. Currently - it's about 1438 under showents. I just put in another 10 cubemaps and it puts the ents up to 1517. Seems to fix some of the texture things though.

I know cubemaps are usually place at eye level but I'm scratching my head - I'd love to put in a tone of them everywhere but by doing so - if I said 'boo' the map would crash. So instead of putting them in at eyelevel I'm thinking of placing some in at a higher level i.e. in my small canyon 1 dead center, in the lake cave - one dead center over the lake area and on over the death pits. But no idea where to put the others in the main canyon.

Can anyone give me any suggestions? Are cubemaps even the right way to go or is this a shadow controlling issue?

Oct 6, 2008
Sorry edit filed from this machine won't allow me to get into the post to edit for this add on:

Some of the models kind of glow (in the broad daylight) as well - which is why I'm thinking it might be a shadow controller issue. If you need some screenshots of the canyon you can se some here:

http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=4958

Oct 6, 2008
I don't think so - mainly for the reason for the fact that I have no idea what you're talking about - LOL

I used one of the lighting setups from the environment gallery - but that's all I have - would it be one of those? It has a Shadow controller but I've never used/modified it so don't know how it works - just left it at the default setting that it came with.

Oct 6, 2008
Thanks Grazr that explains it perfectly - any reasons I couldn't find it when I searched under "displacements" - I thought this would give me every instance of displacements on the site - but I only got 11 hits back which I thought was odd. :confused:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
well the use of the "s" for plural probably cut your search results down but in all honesty displacements don't get talked about a lot. They're pretty basic and don't really cause any compile breaking bugs unless you accidently merge 2 vertices on the same face.