WaterTown

sicsided

L1: Registered
Jul 25, 2008
Hello, first time seriously taking on making a map for TF2, and am very confident about this one!

WaterTown is based around the town I live in currently which has a river cutting down the middle of it and some interesting architecture around it although I don't use any directly.

stage1_tf2plr_layout.jpg

Anywho, the first stage is heavily inspired by Pipeline. In the mid point is a bridge where players can knock eachother off into the water for an environmental death or into water wheels which will chop the player up!

stage2_tf2plr_layout.jpg

Stage 2 is based around a water processing facility with water being safe now and very close combat. In the middle, the payload will drop fast down into a pit like area but also requires the teams to fully push it out if it is not to roll back. It is very close combat.

stage3_tf2plr_layout.jpg

The third stage is still in layout concepting right now, but it is similar to Nucleus, as it is housed in a large canyon like area, with a dam composing a part of the wall. Teams will push the carts down the sides of the canyon and then through the middle and into the building structure which was near the starting point. Sniper fest? Hopefully not with certain structure placement.

As with the map, if anyone would please critique my layout drawings and setup that would be nice also. I'm looking to improve on all area of level creation. Thanks!

Omnomnick

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 16, 2009
Concept art is looking nice, the screenshots look to provide the most promising gameplay out of any PLR map I've seen, probably more than Pipeline - I like the idea of water being an environmental death but you will definitely have to create signs in order to show the water is hazardous. I too shall be watching this! :D

I look forward to playing it

Last edited:

Zwiffle

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 24, 2008
Yeah I recognized immediately from the first layout how reminiscent it is of Pipeline, then read how you were inspired from it. Not sure how "Pipeline" it is in-game, but the layout and especially the cart paths definitely look similar.

The second stage looks much more intriguing. The paths are pretty interesting and the flow (at least from the layout pic) looks like it won't come down to just spamming the middle choke point, which is a good thing. I hate maps that come down to one choke point that everyone spams through.

A Nucleus-inspired 3rd stage would be pretty welcome, I love Koth_Nucleus. With appropriate side areas I can see this stage being pretty balanced, the good thing about Nucleus is that its so big but you never know where an attack will come from.

sicsided

L1: Registered
Jul 25, 2008
@StickZero - Thanks :) I drew the layout on a sketch pad of mine, scanned them into photoshop then added colors in there. Too many lines messes with my head sometimes without the colors.

@Om Nom Nick - Thank you! I was contemplated on how to go about that. Possibly a costume sign or perhaps something broken apart down there to show that its rapid and deadly.

@Zwiffle EEEee, I hope its not TOO MUCH like it but yeah, I really wanted to create something after playing the first part because I'm not a fan of the other 2 stages. I did a small playtest with a few friends and they did comment about how the middle seemed similar but with the water and the vertical paths on it, it seemed different.
Yeah, spam fire (especially from demomen/soldiers) was my greatest worry, along with snipers taking advantage of being up hill from the pitt area.
I love me some koth_Nucleus also :D

Thanks for the comments mates!