waterindices nearly full

Aug 19, 2008
"waterindices 64011/65536 128022/131072 (97.7%) VERY FULL!"

thats the log i receive once my map is compiled

digging through forums, i couldn´t find a sufficient answer what exactly i can do to decrease that number

the amount of water didn´t change since i started mapping, but the number grows with the size of the map

plz share your wisdom

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
I was having the exact same problem, and still am. Though it doesn't seem to impact performance, it is rather annoying. The only variable I found is that when compiling w/out func_detail, waterindices drops to 20%. I would say don't fret about it. I have a suspicion that it's just a bug, and not an actual reflection of the water's draw on resources.

Earl

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 21, 2007
Waterindices have nothing to do with water.

It's hard to say what exactly causes them, but they are related to intersections of func_details.

Some situations that will cause waterindices, (from my past experimentation):

Overlapping brushes that have coplanar faces. (creates a shimmering effect-- probably where the "water" in the name comes from).

Rotating a func_detail that was made on grid.

Having 2 func_detail faces brushes meet at a non-right angle.

Aug 19, 2008
i rotated a lot of my brushes and made them func_detail, does that mean i have to do them again, w/o rotating?
if yes, will it do the trick moving them to world, and them converting them back to func_detail?

thx so far, asking here is more effective than google, by far

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
what ive heard is that waterindices for the most part have to do with "evening out" the areas where world geometry meets func_details
not really much you can do about it...other then making some models for your details, or simply being less detailed...

bear in mind this is mostly me repeating something I remember from a few months ago...so...I can't vouch for it being completely right

EDIT: found it ;)
Waterindices are used when detail brushes touch structural brushes to smooth out their joining. They're related to T-junctions, as when you go over 100% you'll have too many T-junctions to fix up and it won't compile. Castle has about 99.6% waterindices, and I've gone over a lot :(

Last edited:

Altaco

L420: High Member
Jul 3, 2008
No, they probably just used a bsp chunk that was once used for something water-related for func_detail stuff and didn't rename it.

Earl

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 21, 2007
i rotated a lot of my brushes and made them func_detail, does that mean i have to do them again, w/o rotating?
if yes, will it do the trick moving them to world, and them converting them back to func_detail?

thx so far, asking here is more effective than google, by far

I'm betting rotating some func_details is whats causing your waterindices. If you need to rotate something to an arbitrary angle, make it a prop. Converting it to world and back wont help, its just a function of geometry.

I am also thinking of writing an article about waterindices, based on my experiments. I've noticed that there is almost no information on the internet about them.

Aug 19, 2008
went over my map a bit, but the only thing that made a big 6% difference was a nice structure made of func_detail, none of them were intersecting, or crossing in an arbitrary angle

i´ll try out if it makes a differece if i select a group of brushes and make them all together func_detail or every single one for itself a seperate func_detail

edit: no change doing that :|

update: converted some detail to func_lod, which proves quite effective

atm i´m down to 83% waterindices, which gives me some wiggle-room, but still not enough

Last edited:

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
Thanks for the info MrAlBobo :) That would certainly explain a lot in my map, lol. Unfortunately, I can't even use the func_lod. Most of my detail brushes are part of the main geometry, and need to be visible from a distance. Right now I'm in the process of taking the big items and turning them back into normal brushes, then seeing how much the visibility/performance gets hit.

Aug 19, 2008
thanks to func_lod, i got my waterindices down to 50% without any effort, e.g. turning all the former func_detail inside rooms into lods, or anything around a corner into lods and selecting the distance so, that you see everything important, once you took that corner

each day sth new to learn :D