Water Surface Missing?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Maddin855, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Maddin855

Maddin855 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hello TF2maps! This is my first post here and i thought it would be a good place to ask for advice. In my map that i am currently working on for a school project (yes, a TF2 map for school :O) i am having problems with the water.

I follow the instructions on the developers wiki, but everytime i start my map, the surface of the water is missing. However, once submerged everything seems to be fine. This is quite a problem as i have been frustrated with it for hours. I even tied it to a func_water_analog, dispite the note on the wiki. This works but only with cheap water, something i do not want.

If anyone has any idea what may be wrong or has a more accurate tutorial to making water, please let me know!

Maddin855.

EDIT: Problem Solved, Thanks guys!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  2. Inacio

Inacio L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Post your compile log. Maybe you have a leak on your map.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Maddin855

Positive Ratings:
    I do have a Leak, however upon loading the pointfile it makes no sense. It seems to bend around my brushes before going straight through the surface of the skybox. Being at a point where no lead to the void can be seen, its very puzzling.

4. martijntje

martijntje L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    areaportal brush doesn't touch two areas

that causes a leak too
    areaportal cant touch dunc_Detail either

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Maddin855

Positive Ratings:
    Thing is i dont have any Areaportals yet either. So the root of my problem is more of a mystery :S

6. Nutomic

Nutomic L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    Entity report -> search for func_areaportal -> delete -> be happy :D

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Maddin855

Positive Ratings:
    I did this, anticipating sucess, but still, no water surface :(

8. Steff0o

Steff0o L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Are you running vvis? because i see no 1...2...3... there

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Maddin855

Positive Ratings:
    It seems i have solved my problem. I redid my skybox only to find that it is now in perfect conditon and everything is working as it should.

Thank you for your help! (Free thanks for your efforts)

Maddin855

10. absurdistof

aa absurdistof

Positive Ratings:
    The map is leaked.
    Water not showing is typically a sign of this, I've had it alot before. Compile your map (you may wish to check off the 'run after compile') and after it is compiled go to map> load pointfile.
    It should say "load default pointfile?" click yes and follow the red line to the leak. Repeat until the map is sealed. If it opens a browser window for the pointfile, it means that there are no more leaks :D

Also, can we see this map? :D

11. Inacio

Inacio L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I always wanted a prefab pack with Skyboxes on different sizes, because of this. Sometimes I just want to map something specifically to try out on GMod, and have to make a 1024³ skybox, and it pisses me off.
    Good to know that you solved your problem.
    It happened to me a lot, now when water surfaces don't render, I just look out for leaks. :D

12. Undies

Undies L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Static prop models/props_mining/industrial_ceiling_lamp02.mdl outside the map (1648.00, -352.00, 261.07)

13. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    Areaportals aren't the only thing that can cause leaks. When in doubt, the leak is caused by the map leaking into the void. Ask that first, then if that's not the solution, it's probably an areaportal issue.