water questions

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by red_flame586, Sep 27, 2010.

1. red_flame586

red_flame586 L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Water questions/Water problems

Now with twice the questions...
    Solved:I'm currently making a map based in a water treatment plant or similar and i'm trying to make a shallow ledge which the player can stand on which is still partly in the water.

I'm wondering what is the depth at which the player stops swimming in water and starts to walk, I've tried looking at valve maps except they haven't been much help... Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thanks.

Part 2...(not solved) Instead of making a new thread I decided to continue on this one, in the same map as mentioned above, I've got a staircase using a wooden stairs prop that goes from a water section to inside a building as seen below

[​IMG]

Now all seems fine, until one travels under the water and witnesses the horror that is as follows:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For some unknown reason the wall behind it disappears letting the player see into the void

I've checked the map and there are no leaks, i've run it through interlopers compile checker and there are no problems, and i've got another staircase like it that works except it's outdoors not indoors... Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  2. Beetle

Beetle L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Its whenever your face is submerged except the max of when you crouch cuz then you'll just pop your head right back out of the water.

edit: So I believe its slightly deeper than the height of a player while crouched.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Yes, I believe that is correct.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. red_flame586

Positive Ratings:
    New question, help please...

5. bob+M|M+

bob+M|M+ L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    hmm, weird. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the stair prop. Is the water edge lined up with the back wall like it should be? If the back wall is a func_detail, try making it a world brush?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. red_flame586

Positive Ratings:
    The wall is a brush, except one side of it was a single unit off, that might be the problem, i'll test now and get back, thanks

7. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    What it sounds like is that there is either a leak down there, or the now draw is clipping into the wall (I assume you made a nodraw brush, then just made the visible side water...?) and seeing into the void, OR it isn't touching the neighboring wall at all, if there even is one...

I've had that issue before a couple times, the last two of those were what caused it...

Also, I could'nt see the screenshots you posted, probably something on my end, but maybe check the links.