Water Lighting Issue / Solid Water at Certain Angles

AlbinoMunchkin

L1: Registered
Oct 24, 2017
Hello TF2Maps community!

My friend noticed a weird lighting problem with some water and was wondering if it was only on his end / the build he made. I decided to take a look at the build he sent me previously, and this is what is seen from both sides.

If anyone can help figure out what is going on here / how it can be fixed, that would mean a lot to both of us!

Edit: I also forgot to include that my friend tried different water textures and still had the issue, and previous versions of the map this issue never occured.

Another Bad Pun

In the shadows, he saw four eyes lit by fire
aa
Jan 15, 2011
It looks to me like your friend is using expensive water in the same area on two different height levels. This will cause the texture to bug out at certain angles.

The solution is to change one of the water brushes to a cheap water texture, or both of them to a cheap water texture. It might also be possible to adjust the expensive water so that the brushes are at the same height levels, which should fix the issue.

AlbinoMunchkin

L1: Registered
Oct 24, 2017
It looks to me like your friend is using expensive water in the same area on two different height levels. This will cause the texture to bug out at certain angles.

The solution is to use a cheap water texture for one of the water brushes, or to make all of the expensive water level.
All right, I'll tell him right away. Thank you for the response!

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017