'Water' issues.

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by rjackson, Aug 18, 2009.

1. rjackson

rjackson L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hey again,

Quick problem I'm having...

I'm wanting to create a 'spill', I have a displacement map of water underneath the floor of my room, I've raised the geometry where I want the spill to show. Now here's the issue: In game, the water doesn't seem to render. If I noclip into this room, the water only renders at certain angles.

How would I solve this problem?

Pics attached:

2. JoshuaC

JoshuaC L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Did you actually make the water brush a displacement? If so, that's not gonna work at all.

Water brushes are usually just normal world brushes with nodraw on all sides except for the top which usually has a water texture.

3. Ninjilla

Ninjilla L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    the only way I could think of you making a spill is displacing the floor and putting the water into that.

4. JoshuaC

JoshuaC L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Better yet an overlay would be more ideal for this situation.

5. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Yea, i think you'll have to compromise with an overlay here.

You could probably pull something fancy off, like lowering the floor of the prop-room by 16-32 units. So that you can fill it with the shallow spillage using actual water (ie func_water_analogue).

Displacing the ground for a puddle would be.. over zealous, for this scenario.

6. re1wind

aa re1wind

Positive Ratings:
    Water doesn't have to be horizontal you know. It renders fine up to 30° slopes. Yes, water, not the analogue. Make several small water pyramids, height 1 or 1 inches, and then use the cut tool as much as you want to create the shape you want.

Overlay is much easier & simpler though.

7. Eternal

Eternal L69: Deviant Member

Positive Ratings:
    From the sounds of your description it would also be more expensive than an overlay

8. Terr

aa Terr Cranky Coder

Positive Ratings:
    Maybe all of the hinted bugs are ones you don't notice unless you can get down into the water?