Water Issue

Spyke

L1: Registered
Feb 13, 2010
Hello all, first post here.

I've recently started working on my first complete map, and while designing the mid area (it's a 5CP), I've ran into some issues with my water. In Hammer it shows up fine, but in game, I'm getting some errors.

Above the water, I'm getting the purple checkerboard issue, even after restarting TF2:
http://img508.imageshack.us/i/waterissue1.png/

Under the water, I'm getting some weird thing where the water doesn't look clear and it clashes with the other walls around it:
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/2834/waterissue2.png

The water texture I am using is water/water_well, though I've gotten the same thing from trying others.

Last edited:

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
Have you cubemapped it.

Spyke

Feb 13, 2010
Have you cubemapped it.
I actually forgot to do so, but when I did, it gave me an error:

] buildcubemaps
Current mod isn't in a subdirectory of "game"!
*** Error: Skybox vtf files for sky_well_01 weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
Can't load skybox file sky_well_01 to build the default cubemap!

So... what exactly could be causing this?

Feb 17, 2009
1)

• load the map
  • mat_specular 0
  • buildcubemaps
  • disconnect
  • mat_hdr_level 0
  • map <mapname>
  • buildcubemaps
  • disconnect
  • mat_specular 1
  • mat_hdr_level 2
  • reload map
2) Are you applying the water texture only to the surface and nodraw to other sides?

Oh, and that error you are having is normal, everybody will get that. Just ignore it ;)

Spyke

Feb 13, 2010
1)

• load the map
  • mat_specular 0
  • buildcubemaps
  • disconnect
  • mat_hdr_level 0
  • map <mapname>
  • buildcubemaps
  • disconnect
  • mat_specular 1
  • mat_hdr_level 2
  • reload map
2) Are you applying the water texture only to the surface and nodraw to other sides?

Oh, and that error you are having is normal, everybody will get that. Just ignore it ;)
Thanks for the help, this solved my issues! :)

EDIT: I lied, once I reloaded the map a second time, it started doing the same thing again. :(

Last edited:

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
You need atleast 1 env_cubemap in the level.
Then you build them as described above. If they are still purple when you load the map again try mat_reloadallmaterials in console. If the purple persists. Build them again.

Spyke

Feb 13, 2010
You need atleast 1 env_cubemap in the level.
Then you build them as described above. If they are still purple when you load the map again try mat_reloadallmaterials in console. If the purple persists. Build them again.
The problem, I found out, was that the env_cubemap I built turned out to be a blue spawn point, because I spawned on BLU and I spawned outside my map. Silly me for not double-checking, eh?

Thanks for all the help, guys. :)