1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

Water Help please..

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by WTFRAWL, Apr 4, 2009.

1. WTFRAWL

WTFRAWL L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Okay, so I'm working on a Map called 3Fort but my water texture goes crazy once I load it up. I started with my brush tool making the water, then added no draw texture, then added 2Fort water to the top layer only. But once I try, I see through the ground that the water is suppossed to be on. I also added tried adding a cubemap, it got rid of the purple/black pattern, but water is still seethrough and so is the ground underneath.

This is how the ground looks without water.
    [​IMG]

Any tips please?

2. The Asylum

aa The Asylum

Positive Ratings:
    Do you have a sky_camera entity? If so, did you remember to delete the original one when making your skybox?

3. WTFRAWL

WTFRAWL L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I don't think I have a sky_camera entity. My map is inside a hollow square that has a skybox texture.

4. BagOfChips

BagOfChips L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    IIRC hollowed square skybox is bad.

make it out of 6 brushes

5. munkey

munkey L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Make sure there are no gaps around the water brush, and make sure it's nodraw on every side but the top.

i.e. the nodraw sides of the brush should be against a wall/etc.

6. What Is Schwa

What Is Schwa L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Pretty sure you gotta do a full compile to get the water effects, otherwise they just look like the trippy nodraw void.

7. [O]

[O] L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    the exact same thing happened with me when i was starting out my map. i had some things outside my skybox. brought them all inside and everything was fine. couldnt tell you which item it was specifically that solved it.

included were:

• "team_" items
    • 3 items related to skybox: sun, env_, and i forget the 3rd.

hope that helps [will update what those items were exactly once im home this evening].

8. eerieone

aa eerieone

Positive Ratings:
    1. water will not be seen if you just compile bsp without vvis or vrad
    2. water will not be seen if there is a leak in the map
    3. this one is strange, happened to me:
    select the water-brush, hit alt-enter, and see if the water has check under World and Water, that strangely wasn´t the case with my problem, so i simply redid the water
    4. check if the water texture is only applied on one side, the rest is supposed to be nodraw