Warzone SFM Picture

Warzone SFM Picture 2016-07-22

Mr.JC

L1: Registered
Aug 30, 2015
Warzone SFM Picture - Just something related to intense war with a Scout

First real submission to the 72 hour jam. I was basic and decided to just make a warzone whilst listening to Fortunate Son on repeat. Felt cool

Highlight around Scout done in Photoshop. Everything else in Source FilmMaker (SFM)
DXI6b

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
This is really cool! The highlight makes the scout stand out perfectly from the background, which has just the right combination of detail and blur. I have a few quibbles though. The scout's pose is just a bit strange - he's not leaning very far forward, which makes it unlikely that he could be running so fast as to have his leg up that high. I've done a very bad sketch below: do you see how the pose on the right looks more feasible than that on the left? Leaning him further over also makes the scout seem like he's moving faster.

d214264832924cfcaef476b44d6c3a34.png

The only other quibble is that the "feet" of the broken sentry are very sharply in detail compared to the rest - they stand out very strongly from the explosion behind them and look like something else we're meant to be focussing on like the scout, rather than part of the background.

Mr.JC

L1: Registered
Aug 30, 2015
This is really cool! The highlight makes the scout stand out perfectly from the background, which has just the right combination of detail and blur. I have a few quibbles though. The scout's pose is just a bit strange - he's not leaning very far forward, which makes it unlikely that he could be running so fast as to have his leg up that high. I've done a very bad sketch below: do you see how the pose on the right looks more feasible than that on the left? Leaning him further over also makes the scout seem like he's moving faster.

d214264832924cfcaef476b44d6c3a34.png

The only other quibble is that the "feet" of the broken sentry are very sharply in detail compared to the rest - they stand out very strongly from the explosion behind them and look like something else we're meant to be focussing on like the scout, rather than part of the background.
Thank you so much for the tips! I've always needed a separate head to point out things that don't make sense and this was no exception! I'll keep those in mind if I ever make a poster similar to this.