Prosciutto

changelog B4
1 split the giant spawn room into smaller spawn rooms
2 changed some lighting
3 made the train longer
4 changed the 3D skybox a little bit
5 made the forest section bigger
6 added telephone poles in forest section
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
someone said as feedback that the map fits more as a 3cp map. so i have been thinking to make the map a koth map and a 3cp map. but i'm not sure if i will do that.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Urban

aa
Jul 27, 2009
Hiya, I said in chat I would give some quick feedback on Warmth, hopefully this will be of some use to you.

20170522205814_1.jpg

These spawn doors are rather close and come out into the same cramped corridor - this could make it rather easy to camp if one team is already overpowering the other. A single demoman could cover both exits rather easily - I would suggest looking at how official maps often have different spawn exits that come out at differing height levels and/or spaced out so they cannot all be covered by enemies at the same time.
20170522205821_1.jpg

20170522205834_1.jpg

Once you exit spawn you only have 2 routes to choose from, neither really offering any real advantage over the other - they are both completely level. The only real difference is that the left exit (if you are coming from RED spawn) is more easily camped by the high ground right in front of it (more on this in a sec). I think the spawn and adjoining area needs a real rethink, if only to make the geometry more interesting - at the moment you have an area endorsed by the flat earth society that is rather dull to traverse through and fight over.

20170522205840_1.jpg
There is a sightline from here into the spawn, it may or may not be much of an issue as it would be awkward to snipe from here without being flanked by somebody.

20170522205900_1.jpg

Here we get into a really big issue - this high ground holds a significant advantage over players coming out of spawn and heading to mid - this is easily accessible by the enemy team if they take mid and really offers overwhelming power to the team that can take it. players heading to mid via the route visible on the right will be hard pressed to fight back against anyone up here. I think this high ground needs to be lowered somewhat so it isn't quite so overpowering and more cover given to players coming out of spawn. Something else that could help is to make it harder for the opposing team to take this ground, or to give the spawning team a route up here that doesn't involve getting past enemies up here and looping back round.

20170522210012_1.jpg

Overall I think the height layer that most of the high ground is at could be lowered somewhat, at the moment it is rather excessive in my opinion, anyone on the completely flat middle ground will find it awkward to fight back against anyone that high up. Its ok to have some places at this height, but it being the only high ground seems like a bad idea. The ramp into the sewer area is really steep, not really much of a gameplay issue but it looks a bit odd.

20170522214408_1.jpg

This side route needs a bit of work in my opinion - it is a long, flat and boring corridor with a few props thrown in for cover - I think you could pretty easily create a more interesting structure here, preferably with some height variation to make it more fun to fight over - currently one of the biggest issues I have with the map is that you can walk from spawn to spawn while remaining completely level - you only start seeing a height difference around mid.

20170522210100_1.jpg

The top area is also very flat and boring, relying on the odd prop to provide some cover. To assist with the overwhelming height advantage from being this high up you could try making more buildings up here, if only to provide a more interesting playing area and limiting the places from where you can bombard the enemy from with little they can do to get back at you.

Anyways, that's all I really have time for tonight, hopefully it will give you something to play with. If you want me to clarify or follow up on anything, let me know.

P

Prosciutto

it's a say day for koth_warmth today because i'm not gonna work on it anymore. i was thinking to put in the the orhapned maps place but i don't know. (we btw don't talk about 3cp_warmth. that was an total trainwreck)

Status
Not open for further replies.