CP War Factory

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by kwp20 pitts, Feb 23, 2011.

1. kwp20 pitts

kwp20 pitts L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    WAR FACTORY

I'm in the process of creating a 1950’s factory themed control point map for Team Fortress 2, which is going to be styled in the same way as the Team Fortress 2 game. First thing I have drawn (and redrawn) up this new layout in a way to make sure it is playable, fair, and ultimately fun. This core layout design ,as shown on the Map Layout (6th screenshot from the top), is a multi level area that has the capability of 32 players, but can be played with as few as 10.

Plans are being reedited will repost them later on during the week (or next week).

Status

This map is undergoing refinement to fix any potential game-play problems.
    I have much of the mechanics working, but I need to know from a players perspective on if the map is fun or not. Also I want to find out If anybody would have problems navigating the environment. This is a project I aim to finish the correct way. It needs cosmetic work for looks, but my main worry #1 is game-play.

From time to time I'll update this map as needed.

Feedback is especially appreciated

Suggestions are very helpful as well

I hope everyone enjoys their play on this map!:)

This you tube video is from version 0 build 23 (v0.23)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYjgtU9vZxw

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  2. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    Can we have some pictures? People tend to download maps only if they can see pictures, to check that they arent getting a fullbright box with a dumptruck.

3. red_flame586

red_flame586 L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    ^
    And while your at it, remember to include a top down shot of your map so it's easy to see your layout.

(as a bonus, taking good screenshots)

4. kwp20 pitts

Positive Ratings:
    Sorry about the Images, Last night I didn't have time to upload the recent screenshots. I'll post more later on!

5. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    That is a lot of the same window. I don't think you need nearly that many, looks very repetitive.

6. kwp20 pitts

Positive Ratings:
    At this point right now anything that is cosmetic is not going to be worried about. The main thing is that I plan to have this map on a play test sometime next week to get the more important possible issues ironed out. After that then I'll do more with the detail to improve the overall look of the map. Doing it this way makes less of a headache if you wind up removing or redoing a portion of a map.

7. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Oh no, I fully understand that, I just wanted to make sure you knew that that is an obscene amount of windows. That is a lot of copy-pasting. It looks right on real structures, but not in tf2.

8. kwp20 pitts

Positive Ratings:
    It looked worse that that with each side having its red and blue Dev textures but has come a long way from that. It don't yet look like it was a 50's style factory but gets better over time. The windows were going to be arranged in a different fashion, but I'm figuring out better ways to make the map look decent.

The two factory's interiors are going to change do to lack of detail.

9. The_Ulf

The_Ulf L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Layout looks pretty nice! Put this up for a gameday before working too much more on detailing, though :D

10. kwp20 pitts

Positive Ratings:
    Same intention.

BTW thanks for the comment.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  11. LeSwordfish

Positive Ratings:
    Looks good. I'm a tad worried about how well a sniper or wrangler in the upper doorway to the center would do, but i'm looking forward to a test.

12. kwp20 pitts

Positive Ratings:
    Much of the sniper problems have been resolved with the structures in the center of the map, however I'm a little worried myself. If I get a good look of the game-play in recording, it will help me pin point most of the unforeseen problem or confirm assumptions (or not).

What do you like or hate about this map so far? (question is really for anyone to answer)

I'm excited for a test too!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  13. kwp20 pitts

Positive Ratings:
    Just added more documentation to the description for those who wanted to know more about the map!

14. kwp20 pitts

Positive Ratings:
    I would like to know where I can find prop models that are a factory likeness and or includes the manufacturing of bombs (have the nature to explode). If any one would like to give a few pointers, that would be helpful.

15. kwp20 pitts

Positive Ratings:
    Note: I'm planning to have to map tested during Tuesday's Game Day test unless otherwise.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  16. kwp20 pitts

Positive Ratings:
    On Wednesday's play test (saying if someone were to post map change suggestions), Please use the images (the colored ones on the first page) in conjunction with screenshots (or however you best explain the problem(s) for any reason that may or have occurred).

New ideas to the theme are welcome. I hope to have the skybox drastically changed to get rid of the plain look, and to make the factories much more interesting to look at.

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss324/kwp19pitts/Redside.jpg
    http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss324/kwp19pitts/Bluside.jpg

Note this sky box was temporary and does not reflect what the final look should be.

The one of the obvious complaints I'm sure to get (and have had) is mostly visual (that means the million windows thing on the building), but the result of the game-play will determine the new set of plans to make the necessary changes work.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  17. kwp20 pitts

Positive Ratings:
    Ok, todays todays test went off with everything that you can think of with the game-play going wrong or negatively. So I going to make some serious and major redesigns to the game-play to fix the fallowing problems.

3x too big
    too high
    Sticky/Glitchy doors
    Control points too close to each other
    Re-spawn times too slow
    capture time too fast
    Environment confuses people, confusing routes
    limited health and ammo, out in the wrong areas
    some areas too dark
    steep ramps
    awful sight-lines
    missing texture on one side
    too fast of game-play

-----------------------------------
    cosmeticThings
    -----------------------------------
    repeating textures
    skybox not there ( I removed it )

Did I miss anything?

Obviously I didn't achieve my goal however Still plan to continue.

18. Godslayer57

Godslayer57 L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    You got all the problems with the map , on a possitive note it was quite suprising/ awsome how the spawn exploded at the end. We as red were walking out when blu capped and got murdered D:

19. LeSwordfish

Positive Ratings:
    The list may seem daunting now, but i assure you, every one of us has one that long from our mapping infancy. Mine had "Crashes the server" and "2x too small" at the top. Ah, nostalgia.

20. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yes growing (or usually shrinking) pains. My current map went through 3 stages of shrinking before 12 stages of all kinds of redos.... and they continue :(