CP Wallop planning

Dynamic CP map with frantic action for the whole family

1. Faux Rhinoceros

aa Faux Rhinoceros Also known as Dr. Element

Positive Ratings:
    Wallop - Dynamic CP map with frantic action for the whole family

Early thread for gamemode idea criticism.
    The download contains my current entity setup.

In this custom, dynamic CP gamemode (which i will refer to as "assault"), each team has just one control point. Somewher in the middle of the map there is also a mini control point (look at the screenshots).

To win the round, one team must capture the enemy control point and hold it for a set amount of time (currently 30 seconds). If the control point is retaken by its original owner, the countdown will go back to its original value.

The mini control point is optional, and grants several benefits to the team that owns it:
    • The enemy control point timer will be reduced to 20 seconds.
    • The enemy control point will be moved a bit further from the enemy spawn, and out of range of several strong defensive positions.
    • Better spawns/tweaked respawntimes/some other fuckery that makes sense.

The goal of this map is to create a frantic control point map with tactical depth, originating in the dynamic map changes caused by the control points. An example of this would be that recapturing the mini control point while the enemy team has captured your own control point, will increase the timer by 10 seconds and move the control point back into an area that can be defended more easily by your team.

Someone, make sure i complete this :>

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JMaxchill

JMaxchill L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Wait, so mid is cappable even if you don't own your own last? It sounds neat, but I'm not sure how you'll get this across to players without making them read this first. Good luck :D

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Faux Rhinoceros

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks. The good thing about it is that no matter what, people will probably do something that is beneficial to their team. No matter what point they go for, it will benefit their team positively. Regardless, i'll try to convey that the mini cp is unlike the two other ones (currently, the only way i'm doing this is by giving it a smaller base and a smaller HUD icon)

I think it's more important to get players to recognize that if their control point gets captured, they should do everything to recapture it fast.

4. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    Cool idea. I hope that players aren't confused and annoyed when capping the enemy's point doesn't make them win.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Faux Rhinoceros

Positive Ratings:
    I'll do whatever i can to instill a sense of "this is not over yet, and now shit's getting serious". There's already a visible timer after a control point has been captured, but maybe i could spice it up with alarm bells going off, lights flashing and the administrator yelling?

6. Lain

aa Lain Resident wrong opinion holder

Positive Ratings:
    Sounds like it incentivises split up gameplay and confuses players irrationally. Nobody liked getting backcapped and this is kinda backcap: the gamemode.

7. Zed

aa Zed Certified Most Crunk™

Positive Ratings:
    You could probably get the point across by positioning the mini-cp above the regular points on the HUD.