KotH walleye_warehouse

Anreol

L2: Junior Member
Feb 21, 2015
Walleye Warehouse

Thanks everyone helping me with the compiling errors i had.
Well, this is a port from Splatoon, a game that isn't even released and i created a map!!
This map don't includes:
Some way to create ink with bullets.

To cap the point you need another teammate, (Because if in Splatoon you cap the point with ink, here with players!)
100 Secs to Win! (Like original game, but without something that adds time)

Thanks for reading

Last edited:

Anreol

Feb 21, 2015
If there is something wrong, plz tell me!

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
Now, I like orthographic screenshots as much as the next guy.

But I don't think you're supposed to use them for ALL of the screenshots. Just for an overview of the map.

The other 5 are for important areas.

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
Had a quick run-around cos I was bored.

Your spawns should be tucked away in an area hidden away from the enemies, so they can't see their strategies and are more taken by surprise when they pop out. The invisible wall blocking enemy fire isn't a good idea either; sure, it's better than letting people spawncamp to their hearts' content, but it's also confusing since there's absolutely no indication that there is something there blocking enemy fire (incidentally, if you jump onto the silver beam overlooking spawn and aim them high enough, you can fire stickybombs into the enemy spawn).

Not to mention that the spawnroom itself is tiny, and players could easily be killed as soon as they leave - and the fact that they can't fire out of spawn doesn't help either. Having your spawnrooms be indoors (like, say, every official map ever) (except Degroot Keep) will solve both these problems.

Also, you can see aaaalllllll the way across the map just by walking a few paces out of spawn. This is, er, bad. For Sniper-related reasons.

Now, I've never played Splatoon (nor am I really that fussed about it) but judging by this map I can only assume it plays very differently to how TF2 plays. This is why direct ports generally don't work out very well. Rather than trying to accurately recreate a level from Splatoon, you'd be better off using the Splatoon level in question as a basis for a map designed for TF2's gameplay. A good (and recent) example of this is Géza's map based on the Counter-Strike map Assault.

Oh, and a combination of a misaligned 3D Skybox and the floor of your map being made out of nodraw brushes caused this to happen when I fell off the map.

Last edited:

Vincent

&#128296 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi &#128296
aa
Sep 5, 2009
Your screenshots make it difficult to really see your map, as pretty as orthographic views are. Regardless I'm still downloading it to fly around.

So first problem I run into is that the spectator camera is in a fun position. This shouldn't be a hard fix, I just wanted to give the heads up. Generally it's because your origin point (0,0,0) is inside geometry if I can remember correctly. Minor issue if anything.

As a player the way the point allows you to begin capping or even block capping while having a wall in the way is a bit strange. As you can see here I can cap while not actually on the point (Or whatever this structure the point is on is supposed to be). I don't think this is inherently bad, just different. Good on you for experimenting here, I'd have to see it played around in game to give a fair opinion about it.

I like where you're going with the theme, even if your alpha texturing is a bit chaotic, you have an interesting angle on how you get your maps going in the dev cycle from what I can see. Anyway I would strongly recommend against just drawing a huge box over the level after alpha though, keeping in mind optimization later on.

Which reminds me here's a top down shot I took of your map: It helps give an idea of where you can actually go as a player. Now to critique what really matters in an alpha; The layout. If played with a smaller number of players I could see this working out well. It wouldn't hurt to consider widening out a few paths or potentially adding more. I could see the entrances to the point for either team being easily camped out by one to two demoman or soldiers on the enemy side. It might be a good idea to add more exits from team spawn.

Hope to see you do more with this, it's a good start.

Anreol

Feb 21, 2015
I'm thinking on making a respawn room with a teleporter to the current respawn... (Oh, and how i can make a teleporter?)
And making this map a lot different, not as Splatoon, this is TF2, and both games are very different.
Like adding more conveyor belts that can be used as paths.
Also, this map can be my last one in an open environment... because i had a lot of problems.
And i will update this like in 2 weeks. Actually to made this i spent 3 - 5 days...

Oh, and adding something like teamcolored ink, around the team bases, and just below it a dispenser (If it works)
If it don't works, just adding some small packs, the map is small for requiring medium/full packs

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2008
I absolutely love the pictures - the map looks cool!