wafflechops

wafflechops a2

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Multistage payload set in a winter alpine environment. What's the name mean? It's a mangling of "roflcopter." Just popped into my head one day, and figured it'd work better than "pl_snowypushcart."

1st stage begins at an industrial/trainyard owned by BLU. They'll push the cart through a mining town right up to the mountain entrance of RED's headquarters. The screenshots are only of a very WIP stage 1. There will be an additional structure/building on that long stretch of track seen in screenshot A1-1-02 to break up lines of sight and sniper lanes. I just haven't decided what that structure will look like yet.

2nd stage begins as BLU pushes the cart between more mining buildings, up a winding road, and finally into the start of a cavern.

3rd stage (completely unmapped at this point) will involve BLU pushing the cart through a cavern/mine and out into RED's secret rocket base on the other side of the mountain.

I started work on this over Xmas but failed to realize how much work a multistage payload map takes. So it's on the backburner for the time being while I tend to other projects (like, you know, actual work). Just wanted to to post it to reserve the name and show off the small bit of progress. Still tons to do on this one, so I dunno when I'll have it finished. :)

Credits
Using assorted props by Acumen, Sinistar (will edit in a detailed list of props used once the map gets further along) -- I believe these have been removed for the vmf release.

Much thanks to ABS for the TF2 Mapping Resource Pack, heavily used/referenced for this.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2010
Please make this downloadable. I'd love to take a look at it. Lawl@the name, by the way.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
In the first shot, why are there two gates with ramps but only one has tracks?

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008
That's a very beautifully detailed map, I'll HAVE to play it sometime.
My only concern is that it is only A1 and you've detailed it so much - gameplay changing may warrant major changes which would make the detailing obsolete
But it looks cool so far,if not a little open

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Thanks for the nice words, everyone. :)

In the first shot, why are there two gates with ramps but only one has tracks?

The second ramp and door were for external symmetry, but admittedly the interior doesn't match up. There's a fake door corresponding to the track -- ah, here's a pic to explain better:

pl_wafflechops_a1-1-01c.jpg

My original idea was that those doors were used to bring in bomb parts from the trainyard nearby. The placement isn't optimal, but the outside looks strange without that door. Will likely keep it but kill that extra ramp. On the inside, it'll probably need some crates/barrels to keep spam from bouncing too far past the door. Dunno, those changes will be after a playtest or two.

It looks pretty far along for an alpha.

That's a very beautifully detailed map, I'll HAVE to play it sometime.
My only concern is that it is only A1 and you've detailed it so much - gameplay changing may warrant major changes which would make the detailing obsolete

I have to detail as I go to keep my inspiration going. There are tons of visgroups (think I'm probably at ~30 for stage 1) so changing stuff around, detailed or otherwise, isn't really a problem when you can "solo" the section. The central building has been moved about six times already.

Also, I left out pictures of areas that are less detailed. For example, there's a huge gap to the left of pic a1-1-02 where I need either a mountain side or a building, hee.

But it looks cool so far,if not a little open

There's another building/structure that will be going up to break up some of those open sightlines. I hadn't decided on how it'll look yet. Either a ore dumping type thing straddling the tracks, or a bridge-like/minecart structure between two of the buildings.

Anyway, not actively working on the map this coming week due to other projects. Hopefully I'll get a 100% blocked in version for download by the end of the month, though. Thanks again for the kind words, all. :)

Last edited: