vrad issue after update

scotxland

L1: Registered
Oct 21, 2011
This just started after the last update, when I compile my map, I get colored blotches on displacements. Each compile it's a random displacement and is red, blue, green or white.

Example: http://i51.tinypic.com/15qw3g2.jpg

Adjusting the lightmap scale seems to effect the color of the blotches. Any suggestions on what to look at next?

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2008
gotta bump that, i´m pretty frustrated about blotches on premuda which i´m trying to finish up.
the blotches range from single-colored dots to rainbow-like constillations.

is there a way to fix that issue?

_2012-02-07_00028.jpg
_2012-02-07_00056.jpg

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
afaik not. Started to happen to everyone some time ago, was definintely discussed before but I can't find where

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
The funny colours issue is caused by a surface recieving small, insufficient amounts of light, having sufficient light sources usually prevents this issue. Though sometimes shadows are desirable in which case (if it doesn't negatively affect gameplay and thus warrant more light) you're kinda fucked.

As for the light blotches, apparently that can be resolved by copy and pasting your map into a fresh file. Though if you're unlucky this often that just causes the lighting issue to move somewhere else in your map. I had this issue with a KoTH map i was making and the lighting bug seemed to remain at certain coordinates, moving the map around in hammer would cause the light to apply to different surfaces in the same pattern at the same coordinates. Odd.