Voice server

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
Basically im considering getting my own server probably from http://www.gameservers.com/
But the site keeps pointing out the voice servers...so...im not sure whether voice is just part of the tf2 server, or if you need the voice one separately...
So...yeah...basically i just need some info on how this works.

Apex_

L3: Member
Jan 23, 2008
Voice server means Ventrilo or Teamspeak. Very useful if you have a group of regulars or a clan playing all the time. In-game voice via Source runs through the game and comes with the TF2 server.

Also, speaking of voice servers has anyone ever thought of doing a tf2maps voice channel for members to use alongside the Steam chat? Would also be useful during playtests if you can't coax the admin into turning on alltalk during the "run around and find bugs" phase :p

MrAlBobo

Feb 20, 2008
yeah, thats basically what i thought, wanted some confirmation 1st though

Maestro [TPG*]

L1: Registered
Nov 26, 2008
If by voice they mean Teamspeak or vent... we rent our vent from instantventrilo for like 4 bucks a month... Works and sounds great!!

We have made several chat rooms for each type server and various community chat rooms as well... The only issue folks have so far is adjusting the voice key (and remembering it) and getting the levels correct so they can tell which server they are talking in.. The vent client makes a sound when you push to talk..

Last edited:

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
if you order a game from gameservers.com, make sure you use our banner in the downloads section please :closedeyes:

MacNetron

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 12, 2007
If you just want to have your own tf2-server, then a separate voice-server is not really necessary. As Apex points out, it IS really useful though if you create your own community around it.

At coltsplayground we do use ventrilo at the moment. See here to see how it is configured. You can see we have different rooms to support different popular games, and rooms for creativity, and channels just to talk :)
The voice server is not used anymore just to support gaming, but to support the community!

I do have to add that I'm currently looking at Mumble to replace Vent because Mumble is open source, is free, and allows custom channel creation by members.

MrAlBobo

Feb 20, 2008
wow...random bump of a really old topic here...not to mention a topic where the question was previously answered...do none of you check dates?

though the mumble info is kinda interesting

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
On a side note, i still get confused by the dates shown in the posts, it still gets displayed in American format regardless of my region.

I don't know why you guys have to make it so difficult for the rest of the world. Month-Day-Year. I see no logic here.

MrAlBobo

Feb 20, 2008
...honestly? i see this varied alot, had absolutely no idea it was an American thing...
i just look at the numbers and make a logical guess...like...11 could be months or days, 26 can only be days, and 2008 can only be the year... so...yeah

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
It really should be Year-Month-Day, much like a clock, where the thing that updates most often is farthest to the right. But I don't think that's standard anywhere.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
It's no big. It just catches me off gaurd every time i come here and see "month 26". I'm like "What the hell.. oh right". Takes me a couple of seconds to do the math. :/

I wasn't trying to defend the reincarnation of the thread, i just thought i would say that that catches me off gaurd a lot.

And yes, month-day-year is an American thing, everywhere else is day-month-year. Though there is a space clock format that is as TDSOYS stated. Sometimes geologists also use this year-month-day format.

But getting a little off-topic here now, heheh.

MrAlBobo

Feb 20, 2008
its a bumped thread from a few months back...i can't really see how much going off topic would matter

but meh, being in canada i get to learn both how to do things the proper way and the american way <_<

i mean...had to learn the imperial measuring system for shop...

MacNetron

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 12, 2007
Hehehe, I DID checked the date but only the one I was replying on :D
As stated above, I'm also still getting confused by the MM-DD-YYYY notation. Dutch way is DD-MM-YYYY.
The only time I'm not using the 'normal' notation is when I'm archiving files. Those files get marked YYYYMMDD for sorting reasons :D

One thing I do want to know, MrAlBobo, is do you have a voice server now?

MrAlBobo

Feb 20, 2008
i do not, once i found out tf2 had its own capacity for voice, i just threw the voice server thing out the window ;)