.vmf's getting cleared

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by sooshey, Dec 12, 2015.

1. sooshey

aa sooshey :3c

Positive Ratings:
    So my computer is prone to freezing/hanging for a reason i haven't yet figured out...so because of this i always save excessively in hammer. The problem is, if my computer hangs while hammer is open, then i reset my computer to find the .vmf is completely cleared. I have autosaves on and .bsp's i could decompile to get my map back, but is there any surefire way to make sure this doesn't happen? Or what causes it?

2. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
    You can set your autosave intervals very low via the general tab in options:

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. sooshey

Positive Ratings:
    So i had another question about autosaves...I tried recovering one of my maps from the latest autosave, and my settings are identical to the post above, but it only autosaved 5 times total. Meaning the latest one was when my map was 5 minutes old. Is it supposed to overwrite them, or do i need to set "number of iterations to save" to an absurdly high number?

4. Geit

aa Geit 💜 I probably broke it 💜

Positive Ratings:
    Using the settings posted by Sevin it stores the 5 latest iterations of your map, so you'll have an iteration that's 1 minute old, 2 minutes old, 3 minutes old, 4 minutes old and 5 minutes old. When there's more than 5, it'll overwrite the oldest one available.

5. sooshey

Positive Ratings:
    Ohh ok, it looks like it just keeps overwriting the _001 one?? Thank you!