vmf Crashes Hammer Immediately

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Beetle, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Beetle

Beetle L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    So it all started with the compiler telling me I had a leak. I checked all the usual stuff with this extremely simple map and couldn't find why it kept leaking. So I decided to restart Hammer. Now, the vmf crashes Hammer immediately when it's loaded.

I didn't lose a ton of progress but I did some complicated logic that I'd prefer not redoing, seeing as how I had it working right before that compile.

Any help with how to get it to stop crashing?

2. nightwatch

aa nightwatch

Positive Ratings:
    I've recently started getting this on a variety of maps, I still haven't discovered the exact cause. Tarry has had success with opening maps in the SDK 2013 hammer, that might help. I don't think the problem is the leak necessarily because it didn't work on a map with cordon enabled.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Beetle

Positive Ratings:
    OK, but the leak is still suspect despite it might not being relevant. My map is literally like a square donut. It's near impossible to leak. Guess it doesn't matter now, having to revert to an older vmf.

4. Beetle

Positive Ratings:
    OK SOLVED, well....at least what caused the leak.

I was testing out the SetCustomModel command and used empty quotes as parameter. That causes leaks. The end.

As for what causes the vmf to crash, I have no idea, but using those commands incorrectly still is a prime suspect. It probably took quotes as code (like if viewed in a text editor)

5. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    If your vmf has any ""(two double quotes) in it, it will crash hammer. ye can't use quotes in entity inputs and outputs

• Thanks Thanks x 1