Visleaks - what are they?

Oct 6, 2008
as above and 2 when I changed my map over to TF2 textures - my map is now daytime :-(

I wanted twilight. how to fix? but I'm just thinking of leaving it - if it disqualifies my contest entry it's ok.

Hawk

L7: Fancy Member
Dec 3, 2007
Visleaks are holes in your map that allow the gameplay area your're playing in to leak into the void outside your playing area. For instance, if you were to delete one of the brushes making up your skybox, or if you were to have a small gap between two floor brushes that you didn't know about, that would cause a visleak.

Oct 6, 2008
ok to clarify, a leak is light going into the void and a vis leak is for example someone standing on a cliff on my map and looking through the skybox to see a tunnel that I have somewhere else (with a no draw texture) so that they can see the movement of the other team and then attack defend base on what they are seeing - is this correct?

becuase someone looks at my pl_bugscanyon map somewhere else and said it had a tone of vis leaks - map during compiling had no leaks - can anyone check it and if yes, give me an example?

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
A visleak will show in your compile log. If there were no problems during compile, you had no leaks. a leak is "discovered" when a leafnode is created with one of it's portal's exposed to "nothingness", or the void. The closest entity to the void will "leak" and be used as a reference point to direct you to the offending hole in your map.

All you need to do is block line of sight to these area's that can be seen through your skybox. This is often a difficult problem to overcome when incorporating height changes in your map. But this is not a leak.

That guy doesn't know what he's talking about. There can't be a "ton" of visleaks, there will be one regardless of amount of holes, and they will leak one by one, per compile, untill the author seals them all. If there was a leak that broke vvis from running during compile it would cause the whole map to be rendered at once, so he may have jumped to conclusion in this respect, by seeing another section of the map through the skybox; but the skybox has strange properties i couldn't begin to define, one of them is allowing textures to be rendered directly beyond it's bounds. The only way to tell if there was a leak whilst ingame is having cheats on, developer mode on, and mat_visleaf 3 set; that will show you your leafnodes. If there are no leafnodes, there was a leak, vvis did not run, and your whole map is rendered at once.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2008
Grazr - thanks a lot - I feel a whole lot better now! I had no leaks during compile and just fixed the visibility issue (seeing opposite team in a tunnel) due to the height issue you mentioned by putting on a texture onto the nodraw. Since my original pl map for the contest would be disqualified due to textures - I have fixed them to TF2 types :)