Visibility Issue Involving Water

THE_MOOGLEKING

L1: Registered
Jun 1, 2010
I'm working on a map called ctf_submerged_eden. It has sort of an atlantis-like theme, but also has mechanical parts. This is gonna be my first TF2 map, and Source map in general.

Now, with that out of the way, I'd like to ask your advice about a problem I'm having. It all started when I func_detailed an octagonal platform that surrounds a column of water (which acts as an elevator of sorts). When I func_detailed it (in order to cut compile time down, since vvis was hanging), I noticed this weird graphical effect happened.

TF2Problem.jpg

Needless to say, I thought it was fugly, so I removed the func_detail. However, the effect stayed. I've tried everything from remaking the platform, remaking the column of water, and copy/pasting the whole map into a new file. Nothing has gotten rid of this annoying graphical glitch.

Please tell me if you know what's causing the problem, and tell me how I could fix it. Thanks.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Source assumes that when you use water, it will only be visible from above. As such, it doesn't properly create vertical faces of water. If you make walls of water, expect graphical errors.

THE_MOOGLEKING

L1: Registered
Jun 1, 2010
This didn't happen beforehand, though... could it have to do with some of the inner faces of the platform brush group being nodrawed?

Oh, and for the record, I'm using cheap water for efficiency.