Vilepickle's Current Maps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007
Well, I'll list my maps that I'd like reviewed. I have 1 beta, 1 duel map, and Castle, which I feel should NOT be included in my review list for the time being. I don't really want Castle to be reviewed right now only because I'm not completely happy with it. I may even end up modifying the map in the future, but I have no set plans.

Here's the list of my maps that I'd like to see reviewed:

ctf_mach4 - http://vilepickle.com/map/screens/tf2_ctf_mach
ctf_impact2 - http://vilepickle.com/map/screens/tf2_ctf_impact
ctf_chaos - http://vilepickle.com/map/screens/tf2_ctf_chaos/

Mach4 is pretty well known, so keep that in mind when reviewing. The other two are good maps by many standards, but their popularity is limited due to them being CTF, and their release was late compared to Mach. Please don't rate maps down based on them being CTF instead of CP if you prefer CP.

Geuel

L1: Registered
Feb 28, 2008
I don't really want Castle to be reviewed right now only because I'm not completely happy with it. I may even end up modifying the map in the future, but I have no set plans.

The second that you remove the awesomeness/hilarity of starting out defending Stage 2 as a Demoman is the second that I stop playing Castle.

=p

Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007
The second that you remove the awesomeness/hilarity of starting out defending Stage 2 as a Demoman is the second that I stop playing Castle.

=p

lol, I wasn't thinking along those lines. I was more thinking of adding spawn exits in more places on stage 1 and 2.

Koei

L4: Comfortable Member
Feb 23, 2008
If you don't mind, some small comments on mach and impact.

Mach: might be nice for the defending team to have an easy way to get up to their spawns again when they are at the intel. Usually it's a sniperfest on the battlements and running outside means suicide. Intelroom could also use better sentry positions. At the moment there is no sentry position that can be taken down without even seeing it.

Impact: the outside route should be a little closer the the middle. The passageway with the medipack is a bit to long. If you would tighten this you shall see more players switching routes . Now they are more or less forced to either take the main entrance, or the side entrance because it's a big distance to switch. It could also use a bit more eyecandy. Your clean mapping style fits mach, but doesn't quite fit impact in my eyes.

Last edited:

trackhed

L3: Member
Jan 24, 2008
I personally think the bases were made rather well.

that front hallway is a rather key point to hold, so if you don't come in the front door and clear it out first (or push them back), you're going to have to clear it out on the way out.

the side entrance to the bases is extremely less defensible compared to the U shaped hallway of the front entrance, so any defenders are taken out by corner-soldiers in the front (pops in the corner, one rocket, pops back out the corner, repeat) or spies/demos through the sewer.

if the flag is taken by a soldier/demo, they can also easily boom-jump up to the second floor and down n out.

in my eyes its a perfect setup
one less defensible access route with 2 entrances, and 1 defensible position with 2 entrances and 1 exit

it keeps it so if you push hard enough from any which way you'll pretty much always break through to the flag room, but you'll always have to shift your strategy on the fly to account for defense to be successful at getting the flag out.

if a way back up was added (teleporters are pretty popular down there, no?) i think it would shift the tides of gameplay and battles would become more about who can run the most amount of scouts in to pull the intel away from the base inch by inch. (as if that doesnt happen enough already)

p.s. expect even more of a sniper fest when they can be at any of the 3 front doors at any time just by running up to second floor

Koei

L4: Comfortable Member
Feb 23, 2008
Where are you talking about what map? Because it's not really clear where you start talking about mach.

Anyways, I don't like to have my head exposed to snipers when running around in my OWN base. Also I like to have several good sentry positions. Not that I play engy much, but I don't think I've ever been killed by a sentry on mach. They are so extremely useless. Esp. with small teams it's like. *BEEP BEEP*, back again. Blind fire in direction of sound. Profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.