[Video Tutorial] Making a 5 Control Point Map

Brandished

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 19, 2008
This video shows how you can make 5 control point (cp_granary/cp_well style) map using Valve's Hammer Editor. The settings I used for the points are pretty much the same ones Valve uses in their 5 control point maps with a few small alterations.

There's no sound in these videos as I did not have a descent mic when I made them. These clips are also more of a demonstration then an actual full blown tutorial.

The videos are encoded using Adobe's Flash codec, if you can watch videos on youtube, you should be able to view this tutorial. Due to the limitations of flash, I had to split the tutorial into three segments. Let me know what you think.

Update 2
In the first video, the settings for the "Cap Point Layout" in the "team_control_point_master" entity are incorrect. The correct way to setup the cap point layout can be found here on the VDC.

Update
Valve has since changed some of the capture point settings since I made the second video. The notable one is "Warn on capture", it is now "Warning Type".

So instead of:
Warn on capture > Yes
for the final capture points, it's now
Warning Type > Final Capture Point Warning

And for the regular capture points, instead of:
Warn on capture > No
it's now
Warning Type > Normal Announcements

Be sure to view the Readme.txt before trying to open the videos.

Part 1: Creating the room and adding the required entities
http://www.mediafire.com/?tmdzykiy2gh

Part 2: Makinging the 5 control points
http://www.mediafire.com/?m64uemmlvpd

Part 3: Setting up forward spawn points and adding direction signs
http://www.mediafire.com/?ch1lpbek5dp

Note:
The key requirements for multiple working control points are the "team_control_point_master" entity, the "team_control_point" entities, and the "trigger_capture_area" entities.

The "team_control_point" entity's index setting is also important. No two "team_control_point" entities should share the same index number. A final capture points' "team_control_point" entity should have an index number set higher or lower then all other points. (ie, if your points had index numbers "0, 1, 2, 3, 4", "0" and "4" would be the final control points.)

A copy of the finished map's vmf is below.

Last edited:

tedrock

L2: Junior Member
Apr 20, 2008
just curious why the info_player_start floating in the air?

Brandished

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 19, 2008
just curious why the info_player_start floating in the air?

When I make a map, I like to place all the game set-up entities in the center of the map near the top so they're easy to find. I throw the "info_player_start" in with them so I don't mistake it for an "info_player_teamspawn"or an "info_teleport_destination".

I still put an "info_player_start" in in all my maps out of habit so Hammer doesn't kick out any errors when I check for problems. Yes, I know the "info_player_start" isn't even necessary for multiplayer maps and they'll run find without it.

I blame Valve for not removing the error message. :p

tedrock

Apr 20, 2008
ah understood. i've never received an error for not having an info_player_start but i guess we test our maps differently.

phantombadger

Sep 20, 2008
Dead links, do you still have the videos, if any chance you could upload them to youtube and update the links?

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008