[Video Tutorial] Making a 5 Control Point Map

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Resources' started by Brandished, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Brandished

Brandished L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    This video shows how you can make 5 control point (cp_granary/cp_well style) map using Valve's Hammer Editor. The settings I used for the points are pretty much the same ones Valve uses in their 5 control point maps with a few small alterations.

There's no sound in these videos as I did not have a descent mic when I made them. These clips are also more of a demonstration then an actual full blown tutorial.

The videos are encoded using Adobe's Flash codec, if you can watch videos on youtube, you should be able to view this tutorial. Due to the limitations of flash, I had to split the tutorial into three segments. Let me know what you think.

Update 2
    In the first video, the settings for the "Cap Point Layout" in the "team_control_point_master" entity are incorrect. The correct way to setup the cap point layout can be found here on the VDC.

Update
    Valve has since changed some of the capture point settings since I made the second video. The notable one is "Warn on capture", it is now "Warning Type".

So instead of:
    Warn on capture > Yes
    for the final capture points, it's now
    Warning Type > Final Capture Point Warning

And for the regular capture points, instead of:
    Warn on capture > No
    it's now
    Warning Type > Normal Announcements

Be sure to view the Readme.txt before trying to open the videos.

Part 1: Creating the room and adding the required entities
    http://www.mediafire.com/?tmdzykiy2gh

Part 2: Makinging the 5 control points
    http://www.mediafire.com/?m64uemmlvpd

Part 3: Setting up forward spawn points and adding direction signs
    http://www.mediafire.com/?ch1lpbek5dp

Note:
    The key requirements for multiple working control points are the "team_control_point_master" entity, the "team_control_point" entities, and the "trigger_capture_area" entities.

The "team_control_point" entity's index setting is also important. No two "team_control_point" entities should share the same index number. A final capture points' "team_control_point" entity should have an index number set higher or lower then all other points. (ie, if your points had index numbers "0, 1, 2, 3, 4", "0" and "4" would be the final control points.)

A copy of the finished map's vmf is below.

• Thanks Thanks x 4
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  2. Queops

Queops L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I downloaded and it's understandable. Keep up the good work.

3. Brandished

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks. Even as basic as the videos are, they still took me quite a bit of time to make.

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  4. tedrock

tedrock L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    just curious why the info_player_start floating in the air?

5. Brandished

Positive Ratings:
    When I make a map, I like to place all the game set-up entities in the center of the map near the top so they're easy to find. I throw the "info_player_start" in with them so I don't mistake it for an "info_player_teamspawn"or an "info_teleport_destination".

I still put an "info_player_start" in in all my maps out of habit so Hammer doesn't kick out any errors when I check for problems. Yes, I know the "info_player_start" isn't even necessary for multiplayer maps and they'll run find without it.

I blame Valve for not removing the error message. :p

6. tedrock

tedrock L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    ah understood. i've never received an error for not having an info_player_start but i guess we test our maps differently.

7. Pyrown!

Pyrown! L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Link donĀ“t work... Why, i was looking for this kind of video tutorial!!!

8. phantombadger

phantombadger L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Dead links, do you still have the videos, if any chance you could upload them to youtube and update the links?

9. Ravidge

aa Ravidge Grand Vizier

Positive Ratings: