VHE w/o Source SDK Launcher

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by MisutoWolf, Jul 8, 2009.

1. MisutoWolf

MisutoWolf L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    So, after having some computer problems, taking a break from mapping, and then fixing compy and returning to the mapping universe, I decided to see if I could get VHE to run without using the SDK Launcher, because...for some reason the SDK Launcher annoys me and I don't care for it.

After experimenting, and hanging out in community chat for a few minutes, I managed to get it to work!

For anyone who wants to use VHE without having to launch the SDK thing first...the following steps are required:

1) Download GCFScape (or anything you can use to extract things from GCFs.
    2) Open "Source Engine.gcf", located in your SteamApps/ folder.
    3) Locate the file "SourceScheme.res", in the platform/Resource folder of the GCF.
    4) Extract this file to somewhere safe.
    5) Place this file in the <SteamFolder>/SteamApps/<username>/sourcesdk/bin/orangebox/bin/resource/ directory (this may need to be created).
    6) ???
    7) PROFIT.

I was able to successfully use this method to launch Hammer without the SDK Launcher (Steam still has to be running, of course), make a boxmap, compile it successfully (using VBCT), and load it into TF2.

From what I can tell, I haven't run into any problems yet, though someone said they had a problem running TF2 and VHE at the same time when doing this...about to test that now.

Not sure how many people care about this information, but I sort of like being able to launch Hammer directly, rather than go through the Launcher, even if it's just a little bit of wasted time and one double-click.

Enjoy!

GCFScape --> http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?p=26

2. JosephOhSnap

JosephOhSnap L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Wish i was on my good comp so i could experiment with using this method to get l4d hammer running. Thanks for the tip though, will use this for tf2 hammer at least.

3. Earl

Earl L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    The only problems I've seen so far is occasional magenta/black textures on models in the 2D views and when moving them. This is great because now I can map without all my steam buddies bugging me saying "omg wut r u workin on".

4. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    Meh, I like to rack up hours for my Steam profile :p

5. Earl

Earl L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Actually, opening the model browser in this mode causes hammer to crash....