Very odd glitch

Liwi

L1: Registered
Jul 16, 2008
glitchlw2.png

For some reason this happens on one side, but not the other (it's a 5 cp map thats identical on both sides). I don't know if this will help, but the only difference is that on the blue side, I used metal bars for the platform for the CP, and on the red side, I used overlapping wood (I tied all of them to func_detail). This same glitch also happens wherever there are those metal bars and stairs. Again, this only happens on the Blu side of the map, and not the Red. At first I thought it was caused by a leak, but I checked for leaks, and there are none. This is a very strange glitch and I would appreciate any help I can get.

Brandished

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 19, 2008
Does this "hole in the floor" glitch show up in game consistently, or is it more of a flicker (it shows up in one angle, but disappears when viewing from another)?

I've run into many different causes for the solid "hole" in geometry; leaks, nodrawed world brushes on top of other world brushes, overly complex or invalid solids, broken displacements, objects in the 3d skybox colliding with the playable map, and a weird break up of visi-leafs during the compile process.

As for the flicker, I've seen it quite often myself, but I haven't been able to figure out what causes it, I've even ran into it running through some of the official maps created by Valve.

Two other things I'd like to point out, though.

-The sky in your map... (see #2 here)
-The brushwork fences, you might want to consider making those into models to save yourself some brush faces, there's a tutorial here (this might be more then you want to get into, but it does save compile time and faces)

Liwi

Jul 16, 2008
To answer your question, it's more of a flicker. I can only see it from certain angles. Very weird. I'll try deleting the metal bars and seeing if that gets rid of it, and I hope that's the cause of this, since this only happens on one side, and not the other. Thanks for your help Brandished.

Dox

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 26, 2007
the flicker ive noticed comes from when two brushes overlap... not sure if thats the same kind of flicker though... this almost looks like the game is rendering an invalid brush and ended up twisting a nodraw side into the map...

Liwi

Jul 16, 2008
Except that there are no overlapping brushes, and it only appears from certain angels :/ It's very weird.

bobby1211

L2: Junior Member
Jun 28, 2008
I've ran into similar threads where this is caused by a model texture used on a brush. Try changing the texture of the brush having the issue and see if that helps.

Just a thought,

-Bobby

Open Blade

L420: High Member
Nov 30, 2007
I used to see white glitches on some of the players and game models from different angles. Tried everything. Changed out video card and I never saw them again.