1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

Vertex tool can go kill itself.

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Starbound, May 9, 2014.

1. Starbound

Starbound L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    So how do you actually make a mountain using like the displacements tool cause I tried it with the vertex tool and this seems impossible
    Like The Vertex tool is the most useless thing and I think even the craving tool has more uses
    My plan was to have a giant mountain with a flat top on top of it all where the final control point would go.

2. Beetle

Beetle L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Brushes can't be convcave, and most likely, that is what you created using the vertex tool incorrectly.

So, yes, you'll either need to use the displacement tool (probably the best option) or you'll need to make those mountain shapes out of multiple convex brushes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04cVm3bwM3s

3. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    The vertex tool is the easiest to cause problems with because it is the most powerful. It lets you do anything and leaves it up to you to do it correctly. That doesn't make it bad, it just needs experience.

Terrain should always be done with displacements.

4. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    1000x this.

The video beetle suggested is an ok intro to displacements, here's the wiki page too: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Displacement

Also, read up on the vertex tool too: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Hammer_Vertex_Tool

5. xzzy

aa xzzy

Positive Ratings:
    My only beef with the vertex tool is you can't undo anything until you shift out of vertex edit mode.

Other than that it's the most useful tool in Hammer.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Idolon

aa Idolon the worst admin

Positive Ratings:
    I want to see Valve add a craving tool to Source 2. I don't know what it would do, but I want it.

7. Beetle

Positive Ratings:
    I want to see them add displacement editing options that allows you to pull or push vertices based on direction of the camera.

8. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    do you crave it perchance

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Starbound

Starbound L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    but the thing is is that I already know the basics and everything about displacements I'm just trying to create like a giant mountain (or one that looks bigger then everything else) and I've tried some different ways the problem is that when you try to rise a block that inset already that high it glitches the texture and it's a lot hard to flatten a block that's already at height to the level you need it IE spikes and sharp edges that make it look like a mountain.
    If that makes any sense.

10. Beetle

Positive Ratings:
    It doesn't, really. at least not to me.

11. xzzy

aa xzzy

Positive Ratings:
    How about modifying vbsp.exe to function as an exporter for blender or 3dsmax so we can use tools that are actually good at editing meshes to edit meshes. :O

12. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    It's been there for about three years ;)
    [​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  13. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
    PLEASE use punctuation in your posts as it's really hard to decipher what you're saying.

There are not going to be any sharp edges in any organic shape. That doesn't happen. Displacements will look far more real than anything vertex editing can do and it will be far easier. You say you already know "everything about displacements" so quit whining about the vertex edit tool and use what you know about displacements to create the mountain. And what do you mean about texture glitches? Do you have a picture?

14. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Story time.

The other day I had a pitched roof on a diagonal building, and I wanted to chop the bottom off a straight brush I was setting on top of it. Slice tool was useless, and vertex editing would have been a pain since I couldn't gauge from either of the 2D viewports where the two intersected. So I figured, OK, fine, I'll just carve this. It's simple enough that it can't possibly fuck it up, at least.

My SKYBOX got hacked up.

I repeat. The SKYBOX, which I had not selected and didn't even have visible at the time, got hacked up into pieces, which I found out because some of them BECAME visible at that time, for reasons that remain unexplained.

This is how terrible Carve is. It literally breaks the very laws of reality. If you don't believe me I can do it again and record it so that you can see the insanity in action.

15. Beetle

Positive Ratings:
    :O I only thought it could be moved one axis at a time, but I knew if it did exist someone would correct me in this thread, so yay

16. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Are you making a flat displacement and then dragging it up to be your mountain? If so, that's not the proper way and is what is causing your texture stretching. Build up your blocks tall in a shape similar to what you want your mountains to be and then displace them so they sew together.

Check out how official maps do it. Use the Displacement Draw 3D button :)disp3d:) to toggle them in their displaced state vs brush state. You can see how they have theirs set up. Gorge is a good map to start with.

17. xzzy

aa xzzy

Positive Ratings:
    Upward is pretty good too, especially around the cliff route where you can pick up on technique for keeping all the seams lined up.

Valve really likes making a lot of small displacements rather than a few big ones which may not make sense at first but the more you mess with them the more you realize it's the easy way to do it.. minor adjustments won't require redoing every single displacement.