Vertex Editing Problem

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by World Of Frisbee Crisis, Jun 5, 2008.

1. World Of Frisbee Crisis

World Of Frisbee Crisis L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Well, on this map I'm making there are dome houses, yet when I try to vertex edit a sphere into a dome, it always says that it cant be loaded due to errors when I save and start it up again.

Is there any way I can stop this?

2. Vander

Vander L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    It sounds like you are making an invalid brush. Maybe create a sphere, hollow it, then cut it in half?

3. DJive

aa DJive Cake or Death?

Positive Ratings:
    Nope, hammer is just a whinny little girl =(

4. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    My guess is the problem lies in the sphere. The sphere primitive tool is fubar. I experimented with it for a bit once and discovered that nearly any size or shape you make it, it will be an invalid solid upon creation.
    However, isn't a sphere already a dome? What are you doing with VM, exactly?

5. bob+M|M+

bob+M|M+ L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    check for problems (alt+p) and it will tell you which brushes are invalid. you can allow hammer to fix the problems for you, but if you do, have your vm tool handy just in case

6. Tigger

Tigger L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I've run into this before. Hammer has a real problem with concave surfaces. Anytime you have a concave surface hammer can't compile it.

I'd skip the dome, and go for a series of arches, one against the other and one smaller than the other. It won't be smooth, but it will compile.

7. MrAlBobo

MrAlBobo L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    or you could always just make a model

8. psihomir

psihomir L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Nah, Hammer does this with completely valid brushes too. For example, the pine trees on my map - I seriously don't know what's going on there. They're basically 3 cones on top of each other, with the bottom two clipped properly. Any time I open my map, it gives me an "For your information, X solids were not loaded due to errors in the map file", for every brush that represents the top of a pine tree. Which is a perfectly normal cone. So, I have to recreate every one of them every time I'm going to compile. I've shortened this hell by making the tree into a prefab, but it's still majorly annoying.

9. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
  10. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    My guess on your trees is that the bottom of the middle cone is dividing the top cones lower side into a bunch of polys. So it's not a cone anymore but a but of wedgy things that look like a cone outside. The other two are probably fine cuase they have a square top. Make the top cone a seperate func_detail and see what happens.