VBSP Error

Ozi

L1: Registered
Jan 8, 2010
I making map and can't compile it. When I run compilation I get information about error in vbsp.exe and aplication will be turn off (or something like this, I don't have english windows). I can show the log, but I don't see any usefull information (only not important error). Also I try delete vbsp.exe and download it again, nothing help. The problem isn't show up on other map, but I'm working on this map (with compilation problem) over 4 months and never had this error.
Code:
** Executing...
** Command: "c:\steam\steamapps\ozi_pl\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vbsp.exe"
** Parameters: -game "c:\steam\steamapps\ozi_pl\team fortress 2\tf" "C:\Steam\SteamApps\ozi_pl\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp cargoner a10"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (May 19 2009)
2 threads
materialPath: c:\steam\steamapps\ozi_pl\team fortress 2\tf\materials
Loading C:\Steam\SteamApps\ozi_pl\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp cargoner a10.vmf
Patching WVT material: maps/cp cargoner a10/dev/dev_blendmeasure_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/cp cargoner a10/nature/blendgroundtograss007_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/cp cargoner a10/nature/blendgroundtograss007_nodetail_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/cp cargoner a10/nature/blendgroundtogravel001_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/cp cargoner a10/nature/blendrockgroundwallforest002_wvt_patch
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (1)
Processing areas...done (0)
Building Faces...done (0)
Chop Details...done (0)
Find Visible Detail Sides...
Merged 946 detail faces...done (0)
Merging details...done (1)
FixTjuncs...
PruneNodes...
WriteBSP...
done (1)
writing C:\Steam\SteamApps\ozi_pl\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp cargoner a10.prt...Building visibility clusters...
done (1)
*** Error: Skybox vtf files for skybox/sky_tf2_04 weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
Can't load skybox file skybox/sky_tf2_04 to build the default cubemap!
*** Error: Skybox vtf files for skybox/sky_tf2_04 weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
Can't load skybox file skybox/sky_tf2_04 to build the default cubemap!

** Executing...
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: "C:\Steam\SteamApps\ozi_pl\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp cargoner a10.bsp" "c:\steam\steamapps\ozi_pl\team fortress 2\tf\maps\cp cargoner a10.bsp"

Ozi

Jan 8, 2010
Edit: I was happy too soon. There is still error and vbsp turning off.

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Well other than the spaces there is nothing wrong with that compile log at all.

All I can suggest are generic fixes like restarting steam for the master pipe lock error or making sure you haven't got something enclosed in double quotes (") inside a field in an object's properties, as that will screw over your map.

Ozi

Jan 8, 2010
I copy full map to new file and got little diffrent log. vbsp.exe get closed off course, but I also got error in window "can't find specefied file" (it is also in the end of log), I remember that I have idea to solve that error, but there was long ago and I don't remember now, any idea. Here goes a log

Code:
** Executing...
** Command: "c:\steam\steamapps\ozi_pl\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vbsp.exe"
** Parameters: -game "c:\steam\steamapps\ozi_pl\team fortress 2\tf" "C:\Steam\SteamApps\ozi_pl\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_cargoner_a11"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (May 19 2009)
2 threads
materialPath: c:\steam\steamapps\ozi_pl\team fortress 2\tf\materials
Loading C:\Steam\SteamApps\ozi_pl\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_cargoner_a11.vmf
Patching WVT material: maps/cp_cargoner_a11/dev/dev_blendmeasure_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/cp_cargoner_a11/nature/blendgroundtograss007_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/cp_cargoner_a11/nature/blendgroundtograss007_nodetail_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/cp_cargoner_a11/nature/blendgroundtogravel001_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/cp_cargoner_a11/nature/blendrockgroundwallforest002_wvt_patch
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
Processing areas...done (0)
Building Faces...done (0)
Chop Details...done (0)
Find Visible Detail Sides...
Merged 946 detail faces...done (0)
Merging details...done (0)
FixTjuncs...
PruneNodes...
WriteBSP...
done (2)
writing C:\Steam\SteamApps\ozi_pl\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_cargoner_a11.prt...Building visibility clusters...
done (0)
Creating default LDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
   skybox/sky_day01_01*.vmt
 ! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
Creating default HDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
   skybox/sky_day01_01*.vmt
 ! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.

** Executing...
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: "C:\Steam\SteamApps\ozi_pl\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_cargoner_a11.bsp" "c:\steam\steamapps\ozi_pl\team fortress 2\tf\maps\cp_cargoner_a11.bsp"

The command failed. Windows reported the error:
  "Nie można odnaleźć określonego pliku."

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
You're gunna have to help us out here, no good giving us an error message we(I) can't read.

Taking a guess its this one:
The command failed. Windows reported the error: The system cannot find the file specified.

Description:
At the end of the compiling process the BSP file is copied from the directory your vmf file is in to the game/maps directory so it can be played. This error means it couldn't find the BSP to copy it.(the message Windows returns may vary on it's language)

The cause is usually some fatal error in vbsp.exe (the program that generates the bare bsp-file) so check for other errors in your log. The other cause is some invalid setup of directories, or bad mapnames, too long pathnames etc.
In which case you should also see the effects further upwards in the log (something like the other programs not being able to load your map). For mapnames, remember to avoid any strange characters, like brackets, dots, commas and spaces. try to build your mapname out of characters ( a-z ), numbers ( 0-9 ) and the underscore ( _ ) only. The exact cause is usally findable in the logfile.

Remember this error is not a cause of your map to not compile, it is merely a sign that your map didn't compile.

Solution:
Check your logfile for errors, check your directory setup or rename your map.
from here http://www.interlopers.net/errors/

Ozi

Jan 8, 2010
Sorry for making things difficult. Yup, it is that error I checked the paths and try change name of map. Maybe problem is with lines starts by "Patching WVT material", but I don't know what it is.