Vbot/motd usage

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by YM, May 28, 2016.

1. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    This may be an unpopular opinion, but I do not believe the MOTD should be set for anything other than important messages, and I don't think the VBot should be posting dog images and gifs.

This seems like a bit of an abuse of power for personal lulz.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Yrr

aa Yrr An Actual Deer

Positive Ratings:
    i think its fine while we dont have any actual important messages

its not even an "official" thing its just a feature i suggested they add to the bot :T

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Turnip

aa Turnip The 80s Vegetable

Positive Ratings:
    !ghost

~spoopy~

4. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    Lots of people have shown appreciation of it. You raised a good point yesterday about confusing them for important messages, so i've made a point of making the messages accompanying the dogs clearly non-serious since. We've got other (more useful) ways of getting important messages out - and i'm sure everyone can tell the difference at a glance between:

IMPORTANT: Site downtime, see tf2maps.net/blahblahblah

and

dudes have you seen this pupper imgur.com/blah

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    I propose two separate systems: MoTD and DoTD. :chord:

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  6. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Then use your own account?? Is there some reason you need to use the bot to post it?

If we're headed down this slippery slope can a second bot account be created so that I can keep the useful bot and block the shitposter bot?

7. LeSwordfish

Positive Ratings:
    Well the bot posting it is a) a good way of showing it to lots of people and b) the joke

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    well, ha ha, very funny. please stop.

Let's keep vbot to on-topic things, and use our own accounts for 'jokes'

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. sooshey

aa sooshey :3c

Positive Ratings:
    I think you're outnumbered here YM

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    While I don't appreciate the tone YM is conveying, I think, I actually agree, VBot and MoTD should be TF2 or TF2maps.net related news and information, not posting pictures of dogs.

I'll make exception to the overwatch opinion MoTD from a few days ago. That point seemed to lead to some heated discussions,a o having that to mitigate was nice. However, I don't recommend ample use of it.

11. Bakscratch

aa Bakscratch Finisher of Maps

Positive Ratings:
    Instead of using it for dogs pics or what ever...
    Why not use it for rules or upcoming gamedays.
    Because right now it just seems to be a waste of space.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Make no mistake, I am not saying there should be fewer dog pictures in the chat* What I'm saying is that they should be coming from personal accounts and not the forum's automated bot.

*Although I absolutely want a dog-picture free chatroom, I have no illusion that anybody else wants this dog-free utopia

13. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    It was fun for a while I suppose, but I guess after the first couple of times the novelty wears off.

Don't worry though, even if MOTD dogs stops being a thing, I'll be willing to provide your fill of cat/dog/other fluffy animal pictures and gifs as long as I'm in chat. And if YM has a problem with that, he can always block me :~)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: May 29, 2016
  14. LeSwordfish

Positive Ratings:
    straw poll: dog of the day thread on the forum?

todays DotD:
    [​IMG]

thanks to muddy for the pic. the dog's name seems to be minnie and she's doing keepie-puppies

EDIT: Every dog of the day will have a pun as bad as that

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    1) When someone explains that it's "for a joke" it obviously sounds dumb and not funny, but people like it. Source: Am a people.

2) What on-topic things are there, though? Yes, sometimes we want to link to an important thread, and to give some topical warnings, but those are hardly constant things. Gamedays are announced with event notifications, so what's the point? I can't see much of a reason to be so strict about this in situations where you really have to scrape the bottom of the barrel to find anything "on-topic" to put in the MOTD. If you take a moment to read the general climate of the chat, there's no illusion of professionalism there. Nobody gets disrupted by dog pics, nor do we have any absolute need to trust the MOTD to be the sole carrier of the utmost important messages.

What I'm trying to say is, if you happen to dislike this, that sounds like your problem. It's not the least bit problematic in any practical sense of the word, and if you wish to not see the more humorous MOTD posts you need only look away.

Edit: Rewording.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Well now the MOTD is spamming "NO DOGS" it's passed from something relatively innocent into straight up immaturity.

17. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    I'm sorry you have to endure perhaps the world's most astonishingly inoffensive joke at the blistering rate of once an hour.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  18. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    MOTD/VBOT posted 3 times in the 10 minutes before I posted, and it's now a joke clearly aimed at me.

But hey, if the staff want to create a strawman with the bot to laugh at members raising concerns then they should, that's a totally mature way to discuss something.

19. LeSwordfish

Positive Ratings:
    Firstly, the !MOTDsetter is not a staff member in this case.

Secondly, the MOTD has fired more than once an hour once since being set: this was in response to a command. Unless the slack is decieving me, "three times in ten minutes" is simply not true: nor is the implication that the bot is spamming by itself.

Thirdly, if you come into a fun activity and raise the concern that it's the wrong kind of fun, having people make fun of you is frankly par for the course.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Jethro

Jethro MUSty Complainer

Positive Ratings:
    This is why Steam chats need IRC-style topics. So we can just put dogs into that, instead of having a bot say it every hour or so.

• Thanks Thanks x 1