Valve want to make HalfLife movie, The 'Meet the Team' videos being the experiments

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by theharribokid, Aug 29, 2010.

1. theharribokid

aa theharribokid

Positive Ratings:
    Valve want to make the Half life movie themselves/:O
    I might just have to buy the online copy of this magazine tomorrow

2. Penguin

aa Penguin Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome

Positive Ratings:
    Valve does faceposing better than most actual actors.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. nik

nik L12: Fabulous Member

Positive Ratings:
    good thing I'm already a subscriber to PCG :D

unless it's ONLY the UK version? in which case I'll cry

4. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    I always thought that there should be, at some point, a Dawn of War movie. The intro to Dawn of War 1 was amazing. Dawn of War 2's intro wasn't that bad either. There were some German students who made a reasonable WarHammer 40k movie (for a student film, that is). But Games Workshop shut them down because they feel that they are the only ones who could do the lore any justice but still have no intention of doing it themselves.

Neill Blompkamp originally wrote a screenplay for Halo 3 but founding by Microsoft fell through and they pulled the plug on what eventually became District 9 because of fears of success. I guess it's ironic that D'9 became such a massive block buster and many Halo fans would be happy to rub it into Microsoft's CEO's faces.

Of all the games company's out there who would ever attempt to produce a feature film of one of their games i think Valve are probably in the best position to do it successfully, themselves. Just looking at the way they are approaching the whole games industry and expanding into all areas of the market. Just look at STEAM and the "Meet The" videos.

5. Scotland Tom

Scotland Tom L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hey! I resemble that remark!
    You know, because that's me in that video... Seriously, watch it. It's funny.
    /shamelessselfpromotion

A Half-Life movie would be flipping amazing. But wouldn't the main character be a little quiet? A mute Gordon Freeman works well for a FPS, but not so much for a movie. I'd love to see the guys at Valve give it a try though. Or heck, a TF2 movie even. Dunno what it would be about, but it'd look awesome whatever it was.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Dain

Dain L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    uwe boll will direct

7. Penguin

aa Penguin Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome

Positive Ratings:
    TF2 movie would be more awesome.

8. EArkham

aa EArkham Necromancer

Positive Ratings:
    Christoph Waltz is the Medic!

Eddie Izzard IS the Pyro!

Jason Mewes is the Scout!

Kep

9. Omnomnick

Omnomnick L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Or just the class voice actors? Which would be the obvious thing to do. Personally, they should do a TF2 movie over a Half-Life one, it would give them a chance to massively expand the back story of TF2.

10. Numerous

Numerous L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    You will be hung at dawn.

11. Randdalf

aa Randdalf

Positive Ratings:
    Nowhere is it said that Valve will make a Half-Life movie nor that they explicitly want to make a Half-Life movie in that article. What is stated is that if they did want one to be made, they would be the ones to make it.

Journalism these days...

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  12. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    The thing is, Half Life feels like a movie already. I guess it'd be pretty awesome to see it on a big screen.

That is, if it follows Half Life 1 and not Half Life 2.

13. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    There's not much story in either. I could see them squeezing both into a single film, centered on the events of the second with the first relegated to a flashback sequence. Depending on how important he really is to the story (and we'll never know until Episode Three), the G-Man could be removed entirely. But that would deprive them of the opportunity to cast Christopher Walken, who I have become convinced would make the best G-Man ever.

I also don't mind a speaking Gordon, really, since he'd be the main character and pretty much have to interact with the others in a manner befitting a normal human being. If anyone can be trusted to pull it off, I figure it'd be Valve.

14. Tapp

Tapp L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Valve is probably a bit short on animators to make a move, so a word of advice: if you're good at animation, now would be a good time to show it off. I bet valve is looking curiously at the guy responsible for these works of awesome.

15. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    You're joking right?

Half-Life was one of the first computer games to bring computer games into the world of narrative, rather than cheap violent shoote;, so i find it funny when people claim that there's no story.

Admittedly most of the deep stuff you have to read up on in the books or extra's (the nature of lore delivery in FPS vs RPG). IE if you played UpLink, BlueShift and/or Opposing Force.

The type of players who rush through games without paying attention to dialogue are the ones whom complain that a game was shallow and/or has no story.

A film about the Half Life universe could have so many amazing things in it, no matter which NPC it focused on; not to mention the immense amount of content left out of the game. A knock off of the exact gameplay would probably suck a bit... who wants to watch Gordon stack crates with the grav gun for 30 seconds when he could be crowbaring Ant Lions instead?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  16. Numerous

Numerous L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Were Valve to make a Half Life Movie, I really doubt they'd do it from gordon freeman's perspective. For starters, take a look at how closely Meet the Class correlates to actual gameplay.

Honestly, Half Life was designed primarily to be a game, I'm pretty sure that if valve were to make a movie of it they'd get some script writers to write something original, and quite possibly mostly unrelated to the events you directly observe in Half Life (not to say you won't be observed, though).

That's just my opinion though, although I reckon if valve has 2 lions to rub together, they won't directly translate any of their games directly as a movie.