Valve takes Medigun unlock in new direction

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2 Talk' started by TheBladeRoden, Mar 26, 2008.

1. TheBladeRoden

TheBladeRoden L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    http://pc.ign.com/articles/861/861991p1.html

• Like Like x 1
  2. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    cant wait to see what this is all about. im kind of skeptical with the goldrush map. push a cart? that heals you? -.-

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. DJive

aa DJive Cake or Death?

Positive Ratings:
    my only 0.o about the whole "unlocked" thing is whats to stop anyone from making custom maps to exploit any of it? IE where a class has a clear dominate advantage over another class... i mean, we know those are being played very popular right now.

4. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    Wait, cart heals? Sounds cheap, hopefully it functions exactly like a dispenser, no more no less. I think goldrush could potentially be one of the most team-oriented games and I've already laid out a map in hammer around the idea.

Also, critical medigun=awesome idea but god will it piss me off to die by it. Does that mean unscoped crits and spy knife crits? What about when you uber a medic who's holding an ubergun? How about demoman? Does his laid down bombs turn into crits? Also this will make heavies much much more terrifying... CANT WAIT!

5. ryodoan

ryodoan Resident Bum

Positive Ratings:
    I cant wait to see what they do with engineer unlocks, and I hope to god they add Teleporter achievements.

6. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    Actually, I just thought, what happens when a medic critubers a heavy while another medic regular ubers him? What the fuck, the entire world gets destroyed? Maybe this won't be allowed.

7. ryodoan

ryodoan Resident Bum

Positive Ratings:
    Probably the same thing when two medics uber the same guy, nothing, well, the guy is still ubered, but he does not get double ubered.

8. MacNetron

MacNetron L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    ahhhhhh... I first thought the Medic had the 100% crit gun, but it is giving the other player the crits...

Then above scenario, although it's possible to have 1 medic uber (lets say) the heavy and the other one giving him the crits, will not occur often. It requires 2 medics (difficult because most don't want to play medic), and those 2 need to have their uber ready about the same time and close to eachother to make the combo/triplo.

Possible scenario is making heavy-medic-medic-triplo's on round start. That might be quite devastating.

9. beefwellington

beefwellington L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Assuming its possible to give them both Crits + Uber (Valve should be smart enuf to not allow it), and assuming u can bounce the crits beam between players like uber, you can have 2-4, even 5 guys uber'd w/ cirts.... words cannot describe how overpowered that is.

10. The Scientist

The Scientist L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Very interesting. Looks promising. Although when asked when Goldrush would come out, they just said it would ship with the medic update, they didn't even give an estimate of when that would be. Don't hold your breath.

11. ryodoan

ryodoan Resident Bum

Positive Ratings:
  12. l3eeron

l3eeron L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    ya... :001_rolleyes:

I don't understand how they can release updates for one class only....

It's fun to speculate about the unlockables. Maybe you can uber/ubercrit ONE guy. Maybe not, there's so many variables and rare scenarios it's impossible to know what will play out to be balanced fun for everyone.

13. Dox

Dox L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    these unloackable are not going to disbalance gameplay, so they dont need to release them all at once.
    but as soon as they do get released it will be a good time to play a heavy or soldier when youre pubbing, since medics will be far from hard to find.

14. ryodoan

ryodoan Resident Bum

Positive Ratings:
    Which is one of the reasons I think they are releasing the medic's unlocks first. To encourage more people to play as medics. At the moment I think medics are one of the least used classes. I suppose I could check the TF2 stats page to see if this is true, but I am feeling kinda lazy... heh

15. PMAvers

PMAvers L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
  16. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    just made a tf2 news post about it :p

17. PMAvers

PMAvers L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    RICHARDS! [​IMG]