Valve on why they’re selling TF2 items for real money

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2 Talk' started by The Political Gamer, Oct 1, 2010.

1. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    TD;LR: Stop bitching about hats being up for sale!

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/09/30/i...selling-team-fortress-2-items-for-real-money/

2. REEJ

REEJ L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Endless updates for free, they need to make money somehow.
    money for them = updates for us

Any hater should look at all the other games on steam, each little shitty patch is a 5$ DLC.

3. Mr.Late

Mr.Late L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    But TF2 makes it better. 15€ for a hat which doesn't modify your gameplay experience at all!

But because you don't have to buy them it is not a problem and I hope everyone could understand it.

4. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    yep. i cant be bothered to complain about this. let people with money buy stuff with it- real life depressingly works that way too.

5. J4CK8

J4CK8 L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    The only thing I'm going to complain about is the Mann Co crates. I found one earlier and it turns out you can only get a key from the store, and it's not worth spending £2 on a key to open a crate and potentialy (most likely) be given an equalizer, currently worth 50p.

Even if you can get them from drops I'll be waiting months for it. No trading or crafting on them :(

It's like saying to a pirate: Arghh you found the trasure, now go buy the key from that there gift shop. And bear in mind, the contents of the chest is likely to be on sale for less than the key.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  6. Mr.Late

Positive Ratings:
    I think there is only good stuff inside crates like hats

7. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, this is still way better than the games that offer straight-buff weapons that you can only get by buying them. BioShock 2 did it, I think, and was it Modern Warfare 2 that has that instant-win suitcase nuke?

8. J4CK8

Positive Ratings:
    Nope :(
    [​IMG]

I'm not risking £2 on a key for a chance to get an item I have one of and is only worth 50p

But the nuke isn't DLC and isn't a "pay £5 and use it whenever" But still yeah I guess it's not terrible. Even if it will take me years to find any set.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  9. Mr.Late

Positive Ratings:
    Aww, that sucks :( . And you have to buy that damn key too.

Meh, now when I think about all this, maybe Valve got too ambitious. Releasing so many items at the same time + announcing store where you can buy items with real money might be too much.

Valve, quality over quantity, not the opposite.

10. Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Statistical analysis:

Your crate contains:
    VitaSaw (can't be bought)
    Gunslinger ($0.99)
    Equalizer ($1.99)
    Scottish Resistance ($0.49)
    Old Guadlejara (can't be bought)
    Napper's Respite (can't be bought)
    An Extraordinary Abundance of Things (multiple items? can't be bought)
    A distinctive lack of hue (paint can? can't be bought)

So there is a 37.5% chance that you will receive an item worth less than the key, and a 62.5% chance you will get an unbuyable item. There is also a 12.5% chance that you will get a super unique special attribute item available only via crates.

It's like gambling, and those really aren't bad odds. Now, personally I don't have any of the things except those available for purchase. Which means that I would have a 62.5% chance of getting something I don't have and a 37.5% chance of getting something with only trading/crafting value, which increases the contrast in the gamble: both the potential loss and gain are greater.

There is a 12.5% chance of increasing the monetary cost of an item by ~200%, 12.5% to increase it by ~150% and a 12.5% chance to increase it by ~25%. That averages to 125% cost increase.

Which means your odds are 7:10 winning big to losing small.

11. J4CK8

Positive Ratings:
    Sooooo should I go gamble my life away?
    If the keys are obtainable by drop, then I doubt I'll buy a key, even though it will take me years to get the key. I'd still have to spend £4 minimum anyway.

Or I'll just wait until there's a game I wanna buy and add a couple of extra pounds to my wallet for a key.

12. gamemaster1996

gamemaster1996 L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    Well i thought, you know what valve deserve something back so i payed £29.99 for a polycount bundle.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Grim Tuesday

aa Grim Tuesday

Positive Ratings:

ugh i hate free to play say its not true valve never do it!

14. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Fancy a football helm whiskered gentleman or kabuto? for that crate? (latter two are vintage)

15. J4CK8

Positive Ratings:
    Already have the first two. I think I'm gonna hold onto it for a bit anyway. I've seen more crates drop today than any other items though.

16. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    they should atleast allow keys to drop as well. Even if it's at 50% or even 25% the rate of crates.

But ultimately i couldn't care less if someone else paid a couple pennies to get a hat they wanted. Considering the amount of content we've got for free (even if they have momentarily broken the game on several of such occasions), this allows valve to get a little something back. Personally i probably wouldn't buy this content because it doesn't interest me enough. But i can't argue that it doesn't interest others.