Valve mentions new classes, new game modes, and incoming class updates

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2 Talk' started by drp, Jan 21, 2009.

1. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    The Escapist had an article saying Valve was getting ready to release the scout class updates, that the idea of a new class joining our beloved nine was not totally out the window, and possible new game modes will be coming to Team Fortress.

Valve also hints that some of the current class abilities have outlived their usefulness. It specifically mentions the spy's disguise. Noting that this only fools newcomers and hardly every works.

It also mentioned the engineer's sentry gun. They want to incorporate something that is not too easy for veteran players, and not too difficult for newbies.

You can read the entire article here.

Source: Escapist Magazine

• Thanks Thanks x 9
  2. Acegikmo

aa Acegikmo

Positive Ratings:
    Not sure if I like the idea of a new class.
    But I really like that they keep releasing community maps :)

3. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    New payload map and an entirely different gamemode... how interesting

4. GrimGriz

GrimGriz L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    The engies shotgun is better than most think :)

5. Icarus

aa Icarus

Positive Ratings:
    Are they going to make spy disguises more useful?

Awesome!

6. Hawk

Hawk L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Thank goodness! I've been starving for TF2 news. Thank you for posting this, drpepper.

7. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    i want death feigning back :(

8. Baysin

Baysin L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    The new class sounds like intentional rumour generating for the sake of creating buzz, but I guess you never know. Still, interesting article. I was just thinking the other day about how spies almost never get the jump on me anymore because watching for them has just become second nature. Very nice to hear about the "very different" gameplay mode, and the willingness to try "risky" new features. "Risky" may or may not translate into "good", but it pretty much guarantees they won't be boring or ordinary.

9. Spike

Spike L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I knew it!

10. Hawk

Positive Ratings:
    The Spy disguise may be losing its effectiveness, but I don't think the Spy class itself is becoming ineffective. They're still a huge nuisance to me, and even when I can detect them I still have the burden of killing them while my buildings are being sapped to death.

11. Spike

Spike L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm spy all time and yeah I think spies are very effective if used well, but it's not a "spy", I would really like to walk disguissed as a enemy to feel myself a spy.

12. Icarus

aa Icarus

Positive Ratings:
    Spy isn't really a spy, he's more of a ninja now

13. TMP

aa TMP Abuser of Site Rules

Positive Ratings:
    I suggested on another forum that a spy has control over the HP and weapon displayed as a certain class from some menu accessible in-game like the achievement one.

14. Hawk

Positive Ratings:
    That might be the key to making the disguise more effective but retaining its purpose... Let the disguise show different weapons.

The thing I use most to catch spies is collision, though. I'm always trying to walk through people I suspect. That's the kind of thing I wonder if they would ever change. If spies could walk through opponents (but not sentries) that would give them a notable advantage.... not one I want them to have, though.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Vicenti

Vicenti L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    A true spy is felt, not seen. ;)

Honestly I don't have problems with people second-guessing my disguise. As long as you're running the right direction and shouting 'Medic!' or 'Incoming!' they'll usually try to find the guy shooting you, which is when you backstab their fool backs. Booyah.

If you run up against Mr. I Never Get Tricked, just uncloak while standing on their head... or ignore them.

16. kwagner

kwagner L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I hate spies.

Which means, to me, that they are an effective, viable and thus worthwhile class. :thumbup: