Valve Company Handbook

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
Read this earlier, was definitely very interesting. If more companies adopted this kind of a collaboration model I might give the professional game development industry studios a second look, since the way Valve operates is more or less exactly (Ignoring for the moment that most of us are usually specialized in one thing) how this entire community, and every other modding community functions, and most importantly what I'm used to and enjoy.

Mar 23, 2010
thought this model succeeded at valve because the people are really multi-talented, but i suppose it could work anywhere

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Apparently Google use the same setup; and to a certain extent the Pixar studio(s).

Appprently-apprently Facebook also works this way, but who gives a real shit about Facebook.

Last edited:

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
listen.png

This will come in handy.

EDIT: This will come in VERY handy:
ponies.png

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I can't imagine a better place to work. :D

Well that all depends on the kind of career you intend to take. I know some people that really enjoy customer service and wouldn't trade their minimum wage job for a 6 figure salary in an office. A bit loony... but you can't argue with where someones heart lies.

I know many people here aspire to work at Valve one day, i tend to take a more realistic approach and believe i probably wont end up at Valve, but that doesn't mean it's unrealistic to end up somewhere else in the games industry and that's not bad either.

Last edited:

Yacan1

D I G I T A L I N F L U E N C E R
aa
Nov 7, 2010
14-Year-Old Boy—If you see one running your project, don’t worry. That’s
actually 57-year-old Josh Weier (see Josh Weier). If you have any extra stem
cells, give them to him! He bathes in them daily.
Odd.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
The problem with companies adopting this structure is they need to be startups or fire all their staff. Because traditional companies have a very structured hierarchy they just couldn't make the change easily at all.