Valve ARG - Potatos!

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
With the new Potato Sale on Steam, it's more than just an April Fools joke, it's starting to look like a full blown Alternate Reality Game, like with Portal last year.

The games featured in the sale have been modified to include potato-like features, and hidden/jumbled messages. Here's a list of what's been found so far, including a strange website:

http://valvearg.info/wiki/Valve_ARG_Wiki

Also, a supposed stealth update on Portal too, with a raven/crow being added to the end sequence:
Rwhtn.jpg

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
how long will this sale last? my game budget is a little weak this month.

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
April 5th is the date i hear the TF2 hats are arriving. The next portal 2 advert will be out on that day, too. (Aperture science brand potatoes?)

I dont know for certain, but that's my guess for when it will end.

On a related note, has anyone yet found the potato in audiosurf? I dont see it anywhere.

The sale is probably woth getting, just for The Ball, AaAAaaA! and Audiosurf. Rush is proving fun, and i hear good things about Defence Grid. Many of the games however rely too much on "Do the same thing again, but better!" thing for me- The Wonderful End Of The World in particular is so short i'd feel honestly a bit gypped if i'd paid for it as a standalone. Killing Floor and Amnesia are apparently good, but not at all my kind of thing. Audiosurf is possibly the best game on steam.

Da_Man

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 23, 2009
A potato-powered headlamp? And people said it would just be a giant potato.

Also, at one point, the TF2 wiki had the potato hat link redirect to a page that just said "redacted". Its been switched by some killjoy since.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
I tossed this up on the IRC, but no one seemed to care, so i'll toss it here so that I can contribute.

Don't know if it means anything, but 35 seconds into the trailer for 321 kick it on steam, there is a picture of -mark twain-. Don't know what it means, but it could probably be something to someone

EDIT: nevermind, fell for a red herring. Its Mark Twain and its been there a while.

Last edited: