Valve Acceptance vs. Community Acceptance

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Oh yeah, it was sbrown. He came to the forums once to...I don't remember, but while he was really cool everyone bashed him for making that map. Oh well.

Janeator

L2: Junior Member
Dec 12, 2012
Haha, sure. Anyway it is a bad thing. Why did they make maps like that? the glory of recieving achievements/kills on stranges/items is not obtained by harvesting them.

Janeator

L2: Junior Member
Dec 12, 2012
That makes me hate the people who wants to obtain achievements as i said below. That's not competitive. It sucks

WarmHandSanitizer

L1: Registered
Sep 15, 2012
That makes me hate the people who wants to obtain achievements as i said below. That's not competitive. It sucks

well achievements don't get you anything except some untradable weps and are completely moot in competitive gameplay anywho, so it's not that big of a deal

WhyNott

L1: Registered
Oct 21, 2012
It was shock for me to discover that cp_orange was the most often played map in the game. I mean, I can understand achievment_idle, becouse people use it just for idling, its not a normal game. But cp_orange? What is so special in that untextured piece of crap? If people are looking for a tdm map, there are plenty of maps like mario kart (not to mention plr_hightower or sd_doomsday) that are a lot better for that purpose.

AND THEY HAVE TEXTURES

Fish 2.0

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 22, 2012
But cp_orange? What is so special in that untextured piece of crap?

They are possibly one of the easiest maps to navigate around, don't require tons of skill to dominate on and are all around more simple than many of the custom maps that come out of this site.

That's why people like it.

ics

http://ics-base.net
aa
Jun 17, 2010
I'm rather afraid that a workshop for maps would just result in a lot of shit getting let in.

Unless valve reviewed the maps first maybe?

I can already see the "I did this 2 hours" maps pouring in.

But as for community maps integraged into the game.. it's been too quiet in the TF2 update side also. Not too many actual content updates coming compared to the mandatory halloween & smissmass. I guess Steam/community development, Steam for Linux, Source2 and Dota2 are at way higher priority.

Oct 6, 2008

Bloodhound

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 3, 2011
I just saw this some days ago:
Nuclear Dawn Map Workshop
So it looks like the system is done.
(I also can remember Valve wanted create a L4D2 Map Workshop 1 year ago, or such)

But I'm still sure Valve isn't doing this for TF2 because of the 2hrs maps.
We over here maybe thing, orangemaps will get onto the later pages them self.
But, just take a look at gamebananas, there are orangemaps with 9/10 votes.

Weapon and Hat models, OK.
But Maps are really hard to judge, especially for new players.
And I have the feeling, that 80% of the TF2 Players are new, or at least acting like they would be.

Last edited:

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
It's not like the truly good maps will all get low scores. Once they start appearing, they're liable to get a lot of attention. Crappy maps get a lot of attention and high scores on GameBanana because that's all GameBanana has. All the good mappers have migrated here, so of course there's nothing left there but the dregs.