Valley of Confusion - Cliff to terrain question

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

citoria

L1: Registered
Mar 6, 2008
ok so I am here with my map.
As you can see I've modeled the valley, but I have become stuck..
valley.jpg

This vallery is to be lowered so that the top of it reached the bottom of the building you see behind it. my problem is how to get the valley to flow up into the ground above it. I could cut a hole, and then displace it to try to get them together, but with the terrain covering the whole map I am not sure how to get the edges to line up.

Any idea on how I should be doing this? Oh and what is the command to make the bottom of the valley kill the player?

~Thanks for any help I may receive

I tired building anew with the ground attached, but I cant get the ground and the cliff to line up. Both are to the power of 4, and no matter what I set it to, I get gaps when I displace.
mess.jpg

Last edited:

Scotland Tom

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 19, 2008
If you want to kill the player you'll want to use a trigger_hurt

As far as matching the cliff tops with the ground, you'll want to make matching displacements for the ground that you can sew to the tops of your cliffs. That's the only way I can see of doing it.

citoria

Mar 6, 2008
when you say matching displacement, do you mean somethign with the same dimensions, so that when I displace it they will divide the same as the cliffs?

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
I think that maybe they're not aligning because your texture scale is different on the faces. Is this possible?

Also, instead of scrapping your original, you can make a brush above it, displace it, and then paint the geometry so that the sides are really low and eventually sort of merge into the existing displacement cliffs.

citoria

Mar 6, 2008
Well I resized the top and the wall so they were the exact same size and it worked. The buildings are a little close to a widened the valley so it is about twice the size you see here. Thanks for the help. Oh and do you guys know how I can test my map with a few people?

complex1000.jpg

Scotland Tom

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 19, 2008
Yeah, the real key to displacements is that they have to match up at the edges. If an edge of one displacement is 1024 units then the one that must attach to it has to be 1024 units. Once they match up and are sewn together you can select them both at the same time and manipulate them with the "paint geometry" function. Just remember that when you do so to keep them BOTH selected. Otherwise you run the risk of separating the edges again.