Using HL2 textures and models for DoDS

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by l3eeron, Feb 28, 2010.

1. l3eeron

l3eeron L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Heya guys,

I know this is a TF2 forum, but I respect your guys' opinion regarding mapping in general so I want to ask you....

My friend has made a very popular mod for DoDS, L4DoD. It lightly mimcs Left for Dead.

Anyways, to make a long story short, HL2 has tons of good stuff to use for this. Can I assume that all DoDS players have all the HL2 content as well? I can't tell because I already own both....

Seems like paking HL2 stuff into a DoDS map is crossing some line of etiquette...

2. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    DoDS mounts HL2

So yes.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. Radaka

Radaka L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I would say yes. Dod:s is contained in a realistic setting, so the textures from HL2 would be right at home there.

Also, as Nerdboy said.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. FaTony

FaTony Banned

Positive Ratings:
    I wonder if Dod:S mounts ALL HL2 content. He said "packing HL2 content into DoD:S map". That's against EULA at least.

5. Anagram Man

Anagram Man L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    DoD:S uses a shared source content of HL2 or you could say the Source Engine, but they are both the same thing.
    You can find it in the steamapps folder, labeled
    source engine.gcf
    source materials.gcf
    source models.gcf

Those 3 come with any Source game you buy, and are part of the reason after downloading said source game, the next source game you buy will already have a significant progress within the downloading phase.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  6. Nutomic

Nutomic L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    In the hammer options window, you can use custom/different fgd files. Just add the hl2.fgd to that fgd list, and you should be able to include hl2 content into your map.

People must have hl2 installed or they will get errors.

This is no copyright problem or something, as long as you dont provide hl2 content within the bsp or something.

7. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    The FGD only pertains to entities, which are game-specific. Any content that is available to people who own the game will automatically appear in Hammer, thus why we have to sift through all the HL2 materials in TF2. As Ashton said, they are part of the core engine content and people cannot remove them and still run DOD.

8. l3eeron

Positive Ratings:
    So all the models and textures that load up automatically when I map for DoDS (default hammer settings) are OK to use? Even for the guys who only own DoDS?

9. gamemaster1996

gamemaster1996 L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    I think it'd be okay due to the fact that the style's very similar and DOD:S had it's textures based off hl2 alot.

10. Anagram Man

Anagram Man L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I believe that the game option set up well only display textures that can be used, as would on the Half Life 2 game option, you don't see CS:S or DoD

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. l3eeron

Positive Ratings:
    I gotcha, that' what I needed to know, thanks!

PS -- Mapping for DoDS is way more tedious than tf2.